f350dually
New Member
OK, actually, it's not the switch, and I don't believe it is the tumbler that is the problem (I've taken both of these out, and they seem fine). A couple of days ago, on turning off the car, I noticed that the key/tumbler turned exceptionally easily as I shut the truck off. When I returned, the key/tumbler would almost spin freely as I would turn to the "run" position, and subsequently to the "start" position. I couldn't actually start the truck, because I didn't have enough "throw" to fully depress the "start" position of the ignition switch. I then noticed that the ignition switch would remain in the "run" position even when I removed the key. There was simply no connection between the ignition switch and tumbler, as least not enough to disengage the switch from the run position.
Subsequently, I've removed both the tumbler and the switch, and they both seem fine. I think the fault lies with the linkage. I can see a white plastic "slider" that moves with the turning key, and slides the pin on the ignition switch that changes it's positions. This "slider" or rod, or whatever, does move, but I'm not sure that it is following the key through it's full rotation. There certainly doesn't seem to be the normal sequence of resistance that should be there, and again, the switch itself seems OK.
Does anyone know where the problem lies? Are there springs missing, or is that "slider" broken. Anyone have a link to a parts diagram that might help?
Thanks in advance, Ron.
Subsequently, I've removed both the tumbler and the switch, and they both seem fine. I think the fault lies with the linkage. I can see a white plastic "slider" that moves with the turning key, and slides the pin on the ignition switch that changes it's positions. This "slider" or rod, or whatever, does move, but I'm not sure that it is following the key through it's full rotation. There certainly doesn't seem to be the normal sequence of resistance that should be there, and again, the switch itself seems OK.
Does anyone know where the problem lies? Are there springs missing, or is that "slider" broken. Anyone have a link to a parts diagram that might help?
Thanks in advance, Ron.