I need some help with a strange electrical problem. When my parking lights and headlights are off, the turn signals on my 77 F-150 work fine. However, when I turn the parking lights and headlights on, the turn signals do not blink, they remain steady, but the turn signal indicators on the dash blink indicating the flashers are working fine. I'm not sure what happens when the parking lights are turned on that would impact the signal circuit.
Any thouhts?
Think, a guess, that a bulb base is corroded; flasher is weak;
had same w/our ex 78 Bronco Ranger; a bulb base was corroded; we drilled, tapped and placed a new GRND for a common GRN connection at the frame for every bulb, esp the license plate bulb ; if you look at the diagram and visualize removing a ground for a turn sig bulb socket...............
for a general test, Look here:
http://aarc.epnet.com/application/8576/8576.htm
CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
WIRING DIAGRAMS
use #1 dia for the year.
to ck signal turn switch connector at strg col base
ign sw ON
eng not running
use a 12 v test lt or mm and ch for power @ light Blue wire; conn, other test lt lead to a good ground; test light should glow
w/ turn sig lever on right or left, probe the connector for power out of the turn sig switch in each of following wire locations;
left front lt grn wire w/white stripe
left rear - lt grn w/orange stripe
right front - white w/light blue
right rear - orange w/light blue
test light should flash at each location
turn turn sig lever to right
or, I need more time to look at diagrams; have to go now...will try mon or Tues. these are Chilton pics and they don't match what I see in the printed version, as usual