Transfer Case

  • Thread starter Thread starter guamsbomb[o==o]
  • Start date Start date
G

guamsbomb[o==o]

Guest
I just bought a 75 bronco. It has a Dana 20 transfer case and it kept popping out of 4 wheel. How should I fix this problem. Thanx!
-Guams bomb-
 
The detent balls in the transfer case are probably gummed up or your linkage is either binding up or not adjusted properly. The detent balls are located under a bolt on each shift rail.

Dana
 
I have a 74, and had the same problem. I changed out the transfer case with a rebuilt from the graveyard. BUT... I found that the transfer case input gear was worn out. You can not buy a new one, and it is not part of the rebuilt case. They don't make them anymore. I purchased a used one from James Duff, that was like new. It's hard to tell if gears are worn out. But my input gear was worn almost sharp on the edges of the teeth. I really think all I needed was the imput gear to fit the problem, but I'm glad I replaced the case, because of all the work it was to remove and replace, which you would need to do to replace the gear.
Good luck.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top