Tire Suggestions

Iamnottelling

New Member
I am looking for suggestions on what Kind of tires would be good as a Daily Driver (25K/Year) and for the random off road adventure. Noise is no issue and am going to stick with 31's till I can get another DD and a lift for the Bronco. I know many go with Goodyear AT but I think that could go a little more aggressive and not sacrifice winter, rain, and daily performance. I have done research on tire rack and was looking at the
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's
Firestone Destination M/T's
but was suggested to go with the BFGoodrich Mud Terrin's

But still looking for suggestions befor the winter hits in Michigan and I need the better tires
 
My personal preference would be one of the BFG tires. I really believe the "Tri Gaurd"sidewall feature they have gives you more off road security & impact resistance. I believe they are the only true 3 ply side wall out there that is priced within reason. The more mild AT model will wear better because the tread is less aggresive vs the MT which will do better off road, but since it sounds like you will be mostly on road the milder tread pattern you select will usually last you longer. I have had good luck with the BFG product and I feel better off road when I have the tire with the 3 ply sidewall ( u need the most protection u can get when u are off road) Regular tire rotation proper air psi will help ya make any of em last longer. My 3 cents! Happy Tire Shoppin! ;)
 
I use 31" Liberators...they handle the miles very well but are not very aggressive compared to the tire I would love to have (BFG MUDTERRAIN). But I put about the same mileage on my truck and have never been stuck (farm fields, mud pits, etc)...and they are made by Michellen. Cost me 350.00...can only get them from Wal-Mart.
 
I would suggest using BFG mud terrains, I have them on my 79 and they are great. They do not were out fast like other mud tires(have obout 6 years on mine, drove from Alaska to Ga. and still have lots of tread on them) and do a wonderful job offroad, rain, snow, and ok on ice.
 
Dont get the goodyears, I hear a lot of bad things from people around here. I have Dunlop Radial Rovers RVs and they are a pretty agressive all terrian. If you want some snow kind of tires though why not go with the bfg all terrian they have the snowflake award or whatever it is.
 
Mud Kings an awsome tire for the price u pay for them, there good on and offroad, the only down side is there loud when u drive them on pavement, also denman ground hawgs are awsome tires for pavement and offroading, they'll last u along time 2 but there alittle more expensive
 
I wouldn't dog on the MT/R's. I had a set of the 35x12.50x15" and they were great tires. They wore like iron and rode down the road much much smoother than any BFG I have ever owned. Maybe I got a weird set or something, but I love those tires.

I currently have the SS TSL SX's and they are very bouncy! (biased ply!) and they get flat spots. So, be sure you get a radial tire at the very least.

I do like the BFG A/T's. No complaints on them other than really bad wet weather traction. I would think that same thing of the MT/R's but I never did have my rearend slide out on me when going around a well known nasty corner where I live when it rains. Great tires.
 
I would go with the BFG All Terrains, they wear good, and offer decent traction in mud as well. There great in the snow, and good on the road, they also work great in the sand.

If you want to go with a more aggressive tire I would go with the BFG Mud Terrain, or the Good Year MTR.
 
My dad has BFG Mtr's and he will have 50k on them in about a month...its almost time to buy new ones. He purchased them back in 01' They were great tires! He has a 94 diesel f-350
 
So what would you guys suggest for 31-32", mainly on-road with a chance for off-road (doesn't happen much around here, but maybe sometime).

I'd like to take it out to my friend's house this spring. I took my Cougar 2 years and my Contour another year, and have felt a little left out with not being able to go mudding. We've had a few people get stuck each year, and usually some good dammage, from bumpers being pulled off, rearends going out, and needing heavy machinery to pull out an F-350 b/c it was stuck pretty deep, and 2 trucks in series couldn't pull it out (that's how the bumper was ripped off). I wanna go out there, but not have to worry about getting stuck in the mud. So probably the best A/T tire that works good enough in mud, and don't cost $200 each.
 
Just get a small lift or put some 33's on there w/ some bumper trimming and go check out tirerack.com and pick out an aggresive type a/t or m/t that is cheaper than 200$..I know if you buy 31's youll just want to go bigger. Im waiting for christmas to get 33's
 
i have 33x12.5 hurcules otrs not that agressive but when i hit the mud, atleast the tires won't stop me. not that loud on the highway either.
 
I got on Tire Rack and selected 32"x8.5"x15" and some other stuff, and nothing came up. Entered in my truck info, still nothing. I got pissed at it and got off there. From what I've read, I'll probably go BFG A/T, since they have them at Wal-Mart. At least they should be able to order them, since I doubt they have 32"s. I gotta wait a while, anyway, since I can't afford them yet.
 
I have Mickey Thompson Baja Claws and love em'. They were not that Expensive either.
 
Yea I was considering the Mickey Thompsons. I was thinkin the radials but wanted someone to suggest them before I bought them for the name and such. How is the road noise on them? (a friend said that the combination of my loud exaust and then loud tires might be annoying?). I was also wondering how the wear was on them.
 
Ya, I wonder about road noise, too. I have to drive to and from my apartment near school every week, and that's 30 minutes, not to mention the other times, like this Thursday I'm driving about 200 miles each way to go party with my friends back at school. I don't wanna have it decrease gas mileage too much, add road noise, and wear quickly. So do those Mickey Thompsons do okay in those aspects? I don't think I'll go too wide on them, either. Otherwise, I'm still thinking about getting BFG A/T, since I still haven't seen any mud in my truck. Trying to keep it looking good, so I don't wanna get it too dirty, but gotta do it if I'm under peer pressure... :D/

From reading what I've typed before, I guess I mainly want a road tire, but one that looks bad@$$ and is fairly good in the mud. I don't wanna be annoyed from the sounds like I am in my brother's Cavy:
207734_65_full.jpg

Before he installed his full exhaust and glasspack it sounded high-pitched and buzzy like a Civic... :-& Now it's a low drone, but still annoying for driving on the highway.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top