Stalling/Hard starting

brittingham1028

New Member
I reached around and could not quite pinpoint what I might have going on, I have a 96 f-150 with a 5.8 fi 351w. E4OD auto trans. A few days ago on a drive up a snowy road I stopped because of a vehicle in front of me, when I came to a complete stop my engine stalled, when I went to restart it it would barely crank over like there was not enough power from the batt. to do so. After about 5 minutes of sitting my truck fired right up so my first thought was a charging problem. it has done this at least half a dozen times since then and it seems to be only when I have driven over a few miles and come to a complete stop with my tranny in gear. Today I replaced the battery and the alternator in hopes of solving the problem but had little to no results, just seems that now I can go about 10mi. Before the engine stalls and it has a little better time starting but not much, also another weird thing is that when my truck comes to an idle the oil pressure gauge erratically jumps around them when I accelerate it returns to the high side of "normal" again, seems electrical to me, or a sensor, voltage regulator, starter sylonoid draw ? Can anyone help ?
 
I , May Be On Wrong Trac Here, But I Just Experienced A Nearly Identical Issue, Bringing a 1977 f-250 back from colorado, ( It Stalled & i thought it locked up )So After I Had it towed home, we found a blown head gasket & cracked head, causing water in the cylinder, piston cant compress water, So truck would start , but wouldnt re-start until you let it sit for a while , i found 2 bent rods & 2 flat lifters , so long blocked it !!! , check for frothy oil ( water ) or oil in the radiator.Pics Are Before & after , this issue.
 

Attachments

  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 68
  • !CEpWpnw!mk~$(KGrHqR,!iwE0FwCJVIbBNSgEVSRow~~_143.JPG
    !CEpWpnw!mk~$(KGrHqR,!iwE0FwCJVIbBNSgEVSRow~~_143.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 70
Also, Re-reading Your Post, Per Oil Pressure Issue !! , Possible Gummed Up Heads , Specifically ( Oil Drain Ports )?? , Causing Oil To Be Pumped Up Into Valve Covers & Slow Drain Back To Block , This Will Also Definately Cause A ( Stall / Sieze ) Issue . Keep in mind, i did not type this in my first reply, however, my engine never overheated ?? ( with a blown head gasket ) ???, I Am Guessing, This Was Due Too How Cold It Was Outside ? , all gauges seemed fine, she just abrubtly came to a stop , I Did Get Out & Pull The Oil Dipstick & It Showed " DRY ", so i assumed I Threw A Rod & Locked It Up, 2 Days After She Was Towed Home, & couldnt find a hole in the block,I Pulled Dipstick & it showed full ?? , i saw no oil in the water , or water in the oil, it was only , when i decided to longblock it & drained oil pan, that i saw the antifreeze drain out first , as it is heavier than oil !!!, my oil was never frothy.but i was blowing white smoke out the right bank exhaust & Constantly adding coolant to the radiator, hoping she would get me home, ( 82 Miles Short ).
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top