Shift Kit In 74 Bronco 3 Speed

  • Thread starter Thread starter 74bronx
  • Start date Start date
7

74bronx

Guest
Hi,
I just recently purchase a 74 bronco. It has a 302 and a 3 speed manual. when I first drove it, 2nd gear wouldn't work so after looking at the linkage I was able to get it to go in all 3 gears but the thing is when I put the transfer case into 2h or moveed it in any way it jammed the shift rods to where it wouldn't go into 2nd I feel the shifting rods are wrong or mybe bent, is this possible? Should I just order new ones? What is the easiest way to adjust the linkage from scratch?


P.S.> Should the two shift brackets on the trans, (where the rods meet the trans) which way should they be mounted? Up or down?

Thanks
TD
 
My old 3 speed had a few linkage problems. You have to adjust them until they work correctly. Do one rod at a time so you know its right. I had a slight bend in one and caused them to hit each other. I bent it by hand and it fixed the problem. Have someone shift while you look under the truck at the linkage and see if you can see whats going on. Disconnect the linkage off the 3 speed and shift the 3 speed by hand and you will see whats needed for adjustement.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top