Oil= Gone In 3 Weeks

  • Thread starter Thread starter 95XLT
  • Start date Start date
9

95XLT

Guest
W....T....F

Changed my oil about 3 weeks back... probably put on about 2,000 miles or so, it's been a busy month.

Got a Fram oil filter, checked the size, everything is correct, wondering if it is not on tight enough? After I first saw the leakage on the ground, I tightened it as hard as I could

Then I wondered if it was the bolt on the bottom of the oil pan. Checked today, not wet at all

Everything under that filter though is completely saturated with a substance, too hard to distinguish, but I would bet it is oil. I dont understand how it could be tightened but still drip, unless it is the wrong size
 
My best idea is a bad or pinched up gasket on that filter.
When you changed the oil, did you wipe off the old filter before removal to help keep any grit off the clean surface underneath and wipe the filter area of the block off also?

What about the new filter, did you remember to put a layer of oil on its gasket so it wouldn't bind , pinch up or tear off?
 
I had old filters leave the old seal on the adaptor and not allow teh new filter to seal correctly. If you don't look closely, you might not see it. Just a thought.
 
When I had my 302, I had a very similar problem...ended up being the person that owned the Bronx before me crossthreaded the oil pan plug/bolt. :-B
 
You could have a "Double Gasket" issue, a defective filter or a cross threaded nipple causing the filter to sit at a slight angle (double gasket being the most common). I used to work at an oil change place and I have seen all three.
First thing you need to do is pull the filter off and check the gasket and mounting surface for problems and check the threads on the nipple for signs of cross threading. If everything looks good get some de-greaser ("Purple Power" works best IMHO) and completely clean ALL of the oil / grease from under the engine / truck so you can see where the oil is coming from (oil dye is also something to look in to if you can't tell). Cleaning the entire engine compartment is a good idea as well.

Next thing you should check is the exhaust pipe when you start the truck and when driving. Look for smoke at both times, blue puff at start up = bad valve guide seals and blue smoke when running = bad rings.
Now the valve guide seals will not cause all of the oil to be gone after 2k miles but the oil burning (blowing past the rings) could be a good chunk of the problem adding to your leak.

How is the oil pressure when the truck is at temperature and full of oil?
If the oil pressure is good at idle then that is a good thing as this is the most common problem with Ford V8's. If the pressure drops to 0 at idle then you may have a very large problem, but that is another topic.
I hope this helps.
Good luck
 
Do you see any oil leaking above the filter? Could be a simple valve cover gasket, distributor seal or crank seal. Start by replacing up high and work you way down.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top