Another Stupid Q

Bradt

New Member
Here's one that's bugged me for a while, and I've just never thought to ask anyone. I've always refered to an inline 6 engine as an I6. I look at a lot of sites (carfax for one), and they list it as L6. Why two abbreviations for the same engine?

Brad
 
A I6 or "In line 6" is not the same as an L6 or "Slant 6". I have only seen a slant 6 in Chrysler/Dodge products, the engine is canted to one side, like 1/2 a V8. In line 6's are just that - straight 6 cylinder in a row with the crank below the pistons with the valve cover on the top such as the Ford 300 and Jeep 258.
 
I guess that's what confused me. I thought the Ford engines were I6, but carfax lists mine as L6. Was that an option somewhere on the '88 Broncos?

I can't find it in my research online, or in my owners manual as an option. I've looked at it and unless I am missing something it is an I6. Wonder how I get carfax to change that.

Brad
 
Never heard of Ford having an L6, but i could be wrong. As for Carfax, you could try writting them and telling them they are wrong, but I believe they take all their info off the VIN. Bounce your VIN against a maunal and see what it says. If your the second or third owner, someone may have changed the engine at one time.
 
Only other owner was my dad. He didn't change it.

I have found out that it is very likely that the truck was supposed to go to a fire department, but they never got it. It was purchased new off the lot, so I don't believe anything was changed.

How would I check it against a manual?

Brad
 
BMW also uses a slant six. They are all reffered to as an inline six now. ford never produced a slant six that i know of. most likely, this is a typographical error made by carfax.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top