A Arm Rubber Bushing

Iamnottelling

New Member
On my bronco the rubber bushing is bad adn I have to replace it. The bushing is on the "A arm" that holds the front axle from coming back. I am not sure the proper name for it? It has a 1 1/8 nut on the end that I will have to cut off and crack due to rust and the inability to get it off. I was told by someone that I will be able to pull that whole aparatus forward the 3-4" that is needed to slip the new bushing on and then slide it back into the braket that holds it to the frame. Do I have to remove the bracket (3 nuts and bolts that may need to be cut and replaced) ?

If I wasnt' at work 500 miles from my truck i would add a pic.
 
The axle is held in place by the radius arm. Once the Radius Arms are unbolted, you need to disconnect the front driveshaft. just make shure that it doesnt fall on top of you or something. after that, there should be some movement in the axle but it will still be hard to move because of the springs. the harder you push on the axle, the harder it will push back. also independant suspension means that you only have to do one side at a time. Good luck.
 
Right, it's much easier to remove the brackets at the rear of the radius arm to change the bushing. Note-if you resort to cutting off the end to remove the big nut, that will render the arm useless. Try PB, WD-40, or apply heat to the nut to get it loose. Might even need to use a long cheater bar and 3/4" drive breakover. (That's what I did on mine) And if the bracket still has rivets holding it on, you can grind and drill out the rivets, then replace them with Grade "8" bolts. You can either use rubber or poly bushings here (I used poly's), and get an alignment after it's done 'cause it will change.
 
I am all set...
I got the radious arm off and had to take the bracket plate off and am just going to put it together tomorrow..

Thanks all
 
Don't remind me.... I am going to be doing the same thing in the morning..... along with the axle pivot bushing.... possibly the ball joints as well...

My truck started bunny hopping at 35 mph Friday morning.. a new steering box and tie rod ends later.. still has enough play in it to bunny hop and make the tires look as if they are collapsing...
 
BigNasty

Ball Joints suck.. Let me suggest that you take it in to have them done. I had all four done for $550 after I had spent a lot of time working on it and it took 2 guys at the shop about 9 hours of just working on my truck.
 
Hmmmm....


Changed the radius arm bushings and one axle pivot bushing (the rear one was binding on the axle and wouldn't drop far enough to get to...) and still bunny hops into the next lane at 35 mph....

Still have the alignment and tires to chack and get someone to replace the one bushing - prolly the alignment shop for that..... and go from there....
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top