Wiring Help

fordman2575

New Member
I removed the behind the seat fuel tank on my 76 along with the fuel switch over valve and wiring. I swapped the main/aux tank switch out that mounted by my heater controls and replaced it with a regular heater control. PROBLEM IS: Now my fuel gauge will not work. Does anyone have a wiring schematic so I can start at the rear tank sending unit and go to the instrument cluster?
I removed the instrument cluster and there are 2 bolts/post on the back of the fiel gauge. Are these connections ot just bolts. Please help, I have ran out of gas twice already.

Thanks
 
fordman2575 said:
I removed the behind the seat fuel tank on my 76 along with the fuel switch over valve and wiring. I swapped the main/aux tank switch out that mounted by my heater controls and replaced it with a regular heater control. PROBLEM IS: Now my fuel gauge will not work. Does anyone have a wiring schematic so I can start at the rear tank sending unit and go to the instrument cluster?
I removed the instrument cluster and there are 2 bolts/post on the back of the fiel gauge. Are these connections ot just bolts. Please help, I have ran out of gas twice already.

Thanks
[snapback]17235[/snapback]​


I ran out of gas more than i can remember after a body swap. My mechanic friend ran new wire from the sending unit to the bolts you were speaking of and it worked. I have never played with 76 but sounds the same as mine was.
 
Ground the wire out that goes to the sending unit......if the guage shows a full tank while grounded then the problem is in the sending unit. If the guage doesn't move then trace the wire or run a new one.

Sometimes, the brass float gets a hole in it and it sinks in the gas tank, making for an empty tank reading. If the guage show full while sending unit wire is grounded out then check the float in the tank.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top