Windshield Hinge

  • Thread starter Thread starter markhollar
  • Start date Start date
M

markhollar

Guest
I have a 77 Bronco Ranger Wagon that I am attempting to restore.

I assume that with the cab removed, the windshield should hinge forward.

The hinge leaves appear to be rusted together. If so does anyone have a suggestion as to how to free it up. If I can't get the hinge to work it appears that I will have to destroy the windshield frame and cowl in order to remove the windshield.
 
LOTS of penetrating fluid....
Soak the hinge pin forward of the bottom lip of the windshield frame.
Soak the two hold down bolts(one each side of the dash)
If the bolts don't come out easily, you may need to resort to heat to help out.
DO NOT break or strip the bolts, if they offer too much resistance heat and soak them repeatedly. If you spin the retaining plate inside the windshield frame, or break a bolt, the repair to the frame may make you wish you had just replaced the frame!!
If the frame doesn't fold down easily, do not force it, heat the hinge and soak it again.
This could take several tries over several days, do not rush it.

Good luck!!
 
I'm thinking you don't know about the two dash knobs that hold it from folding down.
Once they are out and the top is off, then you can fold it down. If the knobs are rusted, then do like they said above. I bet the piano hinge on the frame itself is OK. If you break one using force then drill it out and re-tap if need be.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top