Will A 78-79 Lift Fit An 86?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sturgell
  • Start date Start date
S

Sturgell

Guest
I know where a lift for a 78-79 is cheap I believe it is 6 inches may be 4 but I dont know I was wondering if it would fit my 86. It is the front coils and the leaves out of the rear wondering if I would need new radius arms or anything wierd like that tell me what else I will need I know new shocks, possibly a driveshaft (which he also has for the truck that the lift came off of).

James Sturgell
 
The 78/79 uses a solid axle in the front, and your 86 has the twin traction beam front suspension. To lift the 86, you need drop down brackets for the axle beams, and extended radius arms, or drop brackets for the factory arms. This in addition to the usual springs, drop pitman arm, brake lines, shocks etc. Also, the twin traction beam has a different lower mount for the coil springs, so I don't think the earlier coils will fit, not positive though. Take a look at skyjacker or someones web site and see what they include to lift the TTB, it will give you an idea. I suggest you just order a kit and do it right the first time :)>-
 
I have been talking to a guy at 4wheel parts that seems to know alot about broncos and rangers. I am swaping out the TTB on my 94 for a solid axle Dana44 and he orderd a lift off for a 79. He said I could put the new coils in my Bronco with the existing upper spring bucket. I am not sure about the bottom. See if you can get the whole bronco from the guy and convert that puppy. :huh:
 
yes, if you get the 78/9 axle it'll slide right under. you'll have to use the 78/9 coils a R-arms. you'll have to redrill for the arms and use a late 80 early 90's F350 trac bar and you'll be good to go.
 
He let the old bronco go in a trade for something who knows lol. I will ebay the parts for him and i get paid for doing that so I might just buy a used lift from someone...but only after the little yellow mustangs bottom end is put back together. Anyone ever heard of too much oilpressure??? My 91 5.0 Lx mustang too a shit on me one morning on the way to school, the check valve on the oil pump stuck open and it pumped a little too much oil and blew off the filter drove it 3 miles without oil put oil in it after school vroom busted off didnt even knock then it did it like 5 more times all in my driveway. To try to clean it out we used tranny fluid and a quart of B12 chemtool lucky for us the b12 washed out the bearings and it started knocking like hell. Oh well drive a chevy 4 miles without oil (getting the shit drove out of it) put oil in it and see if it will start without knocking...my point that is why I own fords...

James Sturgell
clap.gif
 
if you've still got the d44ttb in your 87. ya better keep and eye on your frontend. the 78/9 bronco coil perches on the axle are diffirent. the the 80+ ttb's. the top spring bucket/perch are the same. take a spring from a 78/9 and place it next to a 80+ 4wd and you'll see the diffirence.
 
they have been on there for almost two years and no problems with them.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top