Hi all!
This is my first post here.
I just got a 78 F-150 that has a 68 bronco 302 and a c4 tranny.
I really don't have room for another vehicle...but...the price was so right. So I got it thinking I would just pull the engine out... as it runs good and was recently rebuilt. The 9" rear also rebuilt. Has headers and a few other goodies.
I was told the tranny only goes into Reverse, Neutral and when in Drive it only runs in 2nd gear.
So I was just gonna pull the engine and call it good...but the truck seems to be in real good shape. It was the guys daily driver and over all seems like little rust etc...
But I cannot run the truck right now because although this truck has 2 fuel doors on drivers side. There is no rear gas tank and the one in front has a knife or screwdriver hole in the bottom of tank where someone helped themselves to the gas that was in it.
So...this brings me to several questions and options:
1 - I could just pull the engine and tranny out and a few other parts and junk the rest of the truck.
2 - I could find a gas tank somewhere and see if I can get this truck back on the road.
I was thinking about looking in a junk yard for one. What years fit? Should I look to just replace the front one? It that one the one that is long and inside the frame? (I guess I can look under the truck when it stops raining)
3 - I have friend number 1 that has a 79 f-100 custom short bed truck that is super nice except he has no engine or tranny. It originally had a 302 and a c6. Could I just take the running 302 out of my 78 and put it in the 79? Then either rebuild the c4 or find a c6 or a AOD?
Will a c6 or a AOD hook up to my 68 302 engine? Will the crossmember in the 79 work with a c4 or AOD (cuz it had a c6 originally?) OR would I have to pull ALL the gear off the 78? The engine, c4 tranny, drive shaft...rear end...and put it in the 79?
4 - Friend number 2 has a 78 long box that originally had a 351M in it. (not sure of the tranny...but I would guess a c6) Could I put my 302 in that truck and call it good?
What do you guys think?
Bruce in Oregon
This is my first post here.
I just got a 78 F-150 that has a 68 bronco 302 and a c4 tranny.
I really don't have room for another vehicle...but...the price was so right. So I got it thinking I would just pull the engine out... as it runs good and was recently rebuilt. The 9" rear also rebuilt. Has headers and a few other goodies.
I was told the tranny only goes into Reverse, Neutral and when in Drive it only runs in 2nd gear.
So I was just gonna pull the engine and call it good...but the truck seems to be in real good shape. It was the guys daily driver and over all seems like little rust etc...
But I cannot run the truck right now because although this truck has 2 fuel doors on drivers side. There is no rear gas tank and the one in front has a knife or screwdriver hole in the bottom of tank where someone helped themselves to the gas that was in it.
So...this brings me to several questions and options:
1 - I could just pull the engine and tranny out and a few other parts and junk the rest of the truck.
2 - I could find a gas tank somewhere and see if I can get this truck back on the road.
I was thinking about looking in a junk yard for one. What years fit? Should I look to just replace the front one? It that one the one that is long and inside the frame? (I guess I can look under the truck when it stops raining)
3 - I have friend number 1 that has a 79 f-100 custom short bed truck that is super nice except he has no engine or tranny. It originally had a 302 and a c6. Could I just take the running 302 out of my 78 and put it in the 79? Then either rebuild the c4 or find a c6 or a AOD?
Will a c6 or a AOD hook up to my 68 302 engine? Will the crossmember in the 79 work with a c4 or AOD (cuz it had a c6 originally?) OR would I have to pull ALL the gear off the 78? The engine, c4 tranny, drive shaft...rear end...and put it in the 79?
4 - Friend number 2 has a 78 long box that originally had a 351M in it. (not sure of the tranny...but I would guess a c6) Could I put my 302 in that truck and call it good?
What do you guys think?
Bruce in Oregon