What Kind Of Oil Does Everyone Use On Their Truck?

88pimpin

Postwhore, Pimpin Ain't Easy
I just changed my oil with Quaker State SUV/4x4 oil ($11 for 5-quart jug) and a Motorcraft oil filter($2.77). I thought the oil looked a little low, so I added another quart. The pressure guage is only at about 1/4 past low. I thought it was about half-way before.

So what does everyone else use in their trucks?
 
It all depends on what weight oil you used. For an engine that has some miles on it and depending on the climate where you live I would use the thickest oil possible. For me It does'nt matter what the price is I will always use castrol gtx 20-50, no amout of money could get me to change.
 
I use regular old QS 10w30.

One thing to watch for is Viscosity Modifiers in oil. It's quite common, and I'm sure they are probobly in the oil you just used. Viscosity modifiers (VM`s) are long chain polymers that are added to a light base oil to prevent it from thinning excessively as it warms up. At cold temperatures the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as the 'X'W number indicates. As the oil warms up the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. Unfortunately, VM's will shear over time, reducing their effectiveness, and can burn and form deposits that cause ring sticking. Most manufacturers have shied away from oils with more than a 30 point viscosity spread. Notice how hard it is to find 10W-40 anymore? For awhile, GM threatened to void warranties if 10W-40 was used.

AMSOIL uses no VM's in their 10W-30 and 15W-40 weights, and Mobil 1 formulates their 5W-30 and 10W-30 without VM's. Oils that start out with heavier base stocks, such as 15W-50 and 20W-50 need very small amounts of VM's, however, I can't recommend either of these 2 oils if your wintertime temperatures go below 30 deg. F. A heavy weight like that will be slow to circulate and could cause bearing damage.

Low oil pressure though may be a sign of worn bearings in the bottom end...does it drop when the oil temp rises? Or is it always low?
 
FLYFSHIN said:
Low oil pressure though may be a sign of worn bearings in the bottom end...does it drop when the oil temp rises? Or is it always low?
I don't know. I just changed the oil last night for the first time since I bought the truck a couple weeks ago.
 
What's your mileage? I've heard other Bronco owners complain about it after 150k...could be an oil pump too if it's not old...
 
I use the QS 4X4 in my Z-71, but plain Castrol HeavyDuty 30W in the Bronco. Mobil One is the best synthetic for newer engines, but i would not use it in an older truck or high-mileage motor. It will give you a lower pressure reading and make any leaks easier to find! DOn't forget to check your oil level EVERY day you run the truck or Bronco. You would be suprised how many folks never look, and then burn up the engine due to lack of oil.
 
I just started using Royal Purple. I have always Valvoline in the past. I also have always used Motorcraft Oil Filters, that was a recommendation from a Ford mechanic friend.
 
Now for my 2 cents... I've done a LOT of research into oil filters, and found that the ordinary Napa Gold oil filter is the best for the $$. If you have the dough, a synthetic media filter is a step up. Both are 99% efficent in filtering particles up to 10 microns, and goes down slightly (95-96%) when the particles get to 4 microns. The synthetic flows better and is more robust. For comparison, a human hair is approximately 67 microns. As for oil, I have a diesel, so I use Rotella synthetic or Delvo Synthetic with Pro-Long. I change my oil and filter every 8-10k miles. B)
 
I stand by Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I am also trying the new K&N Oil Filter.
I also have a new motor so the leaks are not an issue.
 
That's cool, WL, I have used the NAPA Gold series oil filters for years on all of my trucks. My only gripe is that it's a bear to change on my 84, and I always made a mess on the cross member. Have to turn the filter upside-down to get it out. I now take the filter off, put it in a Ziplock bag, and then pull it thru the "maze". I learned that trick in Truckin' magazine!!!
 
FLYFSHIN said:
What's your mileage? I've heard other Bronco owners complain about it after 150k...could be an oil pump too if it's not old...
mine is at 390,000kms. still runs great, and i have been quite hard on her!!!
as well i have been using 10w30, but am moving to 15w40, want to use syntec but i go wheeling to often to warent the change
 
valvoline 30w, napa gold. tried the valvoline max life and was happy with it but i switched because it gets black fast. the 30w stays clear almost to the next change. every 3000. both of my trucks use a quart about every 1500 to 2000 miles and the oil pressure never changes.
 
i thought black was a good thing. imo it means the detergents in the oil are cleaning the intenals. if you if you burn oil, black might be a bad thing though.
 
vavoline 5w30 syn been in the truck since new and now have 174, on it and still running strong.
 
i've had lower milage engines that never turned the oil black. it' been my understanding that black oil means that the piston rings are allowing blowby and the oil is getting burned. thats why it's recommended that as the miles pile on you use heavier oil. although synthetics are probaly different. i haven't tried them yet. of course every engine is different and you use what works.
 
Wliebhard said:
Now for my 2 cents... I've done a LOT of research into oil filters, and found that the ordinary Napa Gold oil filter is the best for the $$. If you have the dough, a synthetic media filter is a step up. Both are 99% efficent in filtering particles up to 10 microns, and goes down slightly (95-96%) when the particles get to 4 microns. The synthetic flows better and is more robust. For comparison, a human hair is approximately 67 microns. As for oil, I have a diesel, so I use Rotella synthetic or Delvo Synthetic with Pro-Long. I change my oil and filter every 8-10k miles. B)
NAPA Gold = Wix Oil filter with just the first number missing... and you're better to go to another parts store and buy GENUINE WIX filters, and not the REboxed NAPA ones.

All napa parts = reboxed with napa label. (ex.. NAPA gold 1515 is WIX 51515. If you look on the back of the NAPA Gold box.. there is a WIX and a dana logo)

I'm running Amalie 10W30 in my 351.

should i run HD 30 as I rack up the miles?... got 151K and its got blow by i think.
 
valvoline oils is the only oil that i use. and you wont catch me dead with a cheep fram filter or any made by them. take one apart and you'll see what i mean!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top