What Catalytic Converter Should I Get?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Whonea
  • Start date Start date
W

Whonea

Guest
I'm not the gearhead most of yall seem to be, but I need to replace the cat, muffler and tailpipes in my '90 Bronc with a 300.

Trouble is, I see so many different types out there, I'm having trouble knowing what to get! I guess I just need to know what size inlet to get, anywhere from 2-3 I guess.

Little help? :D
 
You need to mesure the pipe coming from the engine to determine what size you need. I would guess that it would be a 2", but you need to check to be sure.
 
I'm so confused here... The cat has two pipes going into it, and all the ones I can find around here have only one inlet. Further, all the ones with 2" inlets have a maximum engine size of 4.0L, and mine's a 4.9.

Geez, all I need to do is pass inspection! :lol:
 
I guess I just need a thorough lesson in how the exhaust system works. I see round mufflers, oval mufflers, single and dual chamber mufflers, dual and single outlet mufflers, and about a zillion types of cats, all of which range in price from 50 to 200 bucks.

I'm pretty lost. [-o<
 
So I have a '91 w/351 and it had two cat's on it. It wouldn't pass emissions about a month ago. I got a complete exhaust system all the way back from the manifold and they replaced the 2 cats with one. The trick that the shop did was make a
y-pipe that takes the two pipes from each manifold in but only has one going out. Then they put the one going out to the cat.
So I guess, on my truck I have a cat that has only one inlet. Also, the guy at the shop told me the usual size is a 2 1/4 inch.
 
Also, I priced cat's for the Bronco online for about $250. The shop where I took it would have charged me $400 to put on the cat.
Hope it helps.
 
:o Whoa you can buy cats out of summit or jegs around $40.00.
Whonea, unless you cut all you're exhaust out from under you're truck you should be able to have the 1 cat you need either welded or bolted back to you're exhaust system.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top