Water Leak

BroncoForever

New Member
It's a rainy day today. I was out driving earlier and now my truck is in the garage but still all wet. I was cleaning it up a bit inside and noticed below the rear speaker area on the passenger side there was some water, the carpet is soaked. I pulled the speaker cover off and inside the bottom in there it is all wet. By the way I don't think the top has ever been removed before. Where could this leak be comming from? :unsure:
 
Probably from the seam between the cap and cab. Loosen the sidebolts and tighten the top bolts behind the cab top and then tighten the side bolts. If you are still getting water, you may need to replace the gasket.

Another possibility is thru a rusted section of the rear lower door post. If it rusts thru water will come in where the wires to the cab roof light and speaker wires go into the door post. The rear tire well mud/splash guards are designed so that they let stuff from the tires to be thrown into the cavity behind the door post which eventually means rust out.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
I don't know why I'd have to mess with the top bolts because by the looks of the top in general it looks like it has never been removed. To access the top bolts I'd have to remove the trim covering it and I'm afraid of breaking clips and not being able to get them back on. There is no rust that I know of on the truck. The rain gutters are cracked but, I filled the cracks with silicon a long time ago. One thing you said that I didn't understand is that the rear fender splash guards throw crap into the cavity behind the doorpost. Aren't these splashguards intended to do the opposite and prevent crap from being splashed everywhere?
 
Whatever!

I had the problem with the top on mine, probably to the gasket getting old and shrinking. and the trim is only held on with screws.

As far as the splash guards they are supposed to do that but the ey have a gap in them which causes mud and water to shoot by them right next to the 1/4 panel. I have redesigned mine to close the gap..

Since you have none of these problems, let us know when you find the source of the water. It will be nice info to have as a possibility the next time it comes up.

:)>- :rolleyes:
 
If the top leaked, wouldn't the water run in between the trim and down along the whole side of the truck on the inside? I only saw water at the bottom. It was beggining to form a puddle between where the front seatbelt mounts to the floor and where the floor elevates under the rear seat.
 
That is where my leak showed up, don't know what path it took to get there, but tightening the top fixed it.

Another possibility that just came to mind, but also requires a little disassembly that commonly rusts thru, is the floorboard in that area. Take the rug up in that area and check the seams where the metal tub is welded. The area of the raised section has some spots that are susceptable to rust.

You may have to remove the rear seat and decorative trim at the bottom of the rear door post to get the rug up in that area.

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top