Valve Cover Gasget

  • Thread starter Thread starter Desert Donk
  • Start date Start date
D

Desert Donk

Guest
I have an 85 300 CID 6 and I guess they are rather famous for vibration. I have often had leaky valve cover gasgets and the last mechanic put on a what looks like a rubber type. It helps to snug down the bolts every so often.

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the best type of gasget to use? I have thought of locktite on the bolts but hesitate. No actual mechanic has done that so there must be a reason.

I would like to change this myself this time, I can't imagine it would be that difficult. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 
buy a good gasket, that will help a lot & also i have installed studs and put lock washers & nuts on them or just use a lock nut. good luck!!!
 
DONT USE LOCKTITE! locktite works but corroding the threads to where they basically sieze up. id go with the locking washers or maybe a little teflon tape
 
they make a few differant types of loc tite depending on what you want,not all loctite is permanent.
I agree with the other gentleman about studs or lock nuts but i've never really had aproblem as long as the vavle cover wasn't all bent up and cleaned good.
you should try to replace it your self i'm sure we could walk you thru it
good luck
 
Great info, thanks guys. I'm sure I can get through this, it must be one of the simplest jobs on the truck. :) I'll be sure to get a good quality gasget, I suppose NAPA would have one, they have varying qualities and prices and I'll go for the best, whatever that is. My understanding is it's best to use a gasget that does not require an sealer, true?

And I'll go for new bolts and locknuts, I imagine NAPA will have a set of those too. My biggest fear is breaking off a bolt in the head. I do have an old torque wrench that hasn't gotten much use and I was shown how to use it once. Anyone know the torque number for those?
 
Use cork gaskets, they seem to work the best. I tried the rubber ones because a frience said I can take off the valve covers several times with out a leak. Wrong! It leaked after reinstallation. The cork compresses and can only be used once but it definately seals nice.
Blue loc tight will not work with the heat of the engine, even Red. Green is about the only one that hardens but you will never get the bolts out again.
Green is good for bearing races that have some slight slop on the hub.
 
Fel-pro makes a gasket that is cork with a steel shim in between the cork so you won't ovet tighten it and cause the cork to squish out.I used them on my Bronco,they work great.
 
I've had a few cars custom built, and I always use Fel-Pro. I can tell you that Fel-Pro are the best, hands down. I have the rubber with the compression stop washers on my camaro...the engine has been rebuilt twice, using the same gasket since I switched from stock...
 
Thanks,

I'll try to find one of the types you folks have mentioned. Either Cork, cork with metal, or even the rubber. I looked on http://www.fel-progaskets.com/ and they listed nothing regarding the valve cover for an 85 4.9L 6. So I'll have to depend on a local parts house.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top