Unkown Noise

  • Thread starter Thread starter Walt
  • Start date Start date
W

Walt

Guest
I just bought a 83 Ford Bronco and need some help. When 4 wheel is engaged there is a clicking noise that gets faster with speed and stops when the truck stops. The only mods are 31" tires, a 4 barrel holly, and true dual exhaust with no cats.
 
If you have a way to jack up the front, I'd check to see if the hubs are fully engaged. I had a similar problem when I first purchased my 83. The problem turned out to be a hub not engaging properly because someone had put the spring in the wrong place. If you can jack the whole front end up, you can turn the wheels and make sure the drive shaft turns. Put it up on jack stands to be safe.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
yeah it definatly sounds like the hub. mine made the clicking noise when it was in two but not four. i had to replace the hub but the clicking is the hub not engaging sounds like
 
I agree, the front driveshaft u-joints are junk if they are still the factory ones. You also have 3 in the TTB axle that can go bad. The grease in the hubs can go bad if not serviced on a regular basis, so it's prolly time to check that, too. Not serious, but don't let a u-joint or hub go out while 4wheeling if you ca nfix it now.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top