Trouble with front tank

northernleitz

New Member
Got a '95 F150 supercab 4wd with dual tanks. I was told when I bought it that the front tank didn't work. I switched it to the front tank with the key on but engine not running and heard the pump kick on, so I decided to run it. It ran fine for a while (bearing in mind the gas had been in there for 3+ years) but now has very little power. It still idles smoothly, but if I want to accelerate or go up a hill, the engine sputters and sometimes stalls. If I switch to the rear tank, the engine instantly runs better, leading me to believe there is a flow problem when I run on the front tank, but I am not sure. I dumped some Seafoam in there and noticed that the little flapper in the fill hose is bent. I've heard that it could be a vent or return line problem, but it doesn't seem to be pumping fuel to the rear tank and there aren't any leaks from over-pressurization. Would a clogged strainer cause this? Does the front tank use a different filter or the same filter as the rear tank? Any help greatly appreciated.
 
sounds like the low pressure pump in the tank is going out the door. each tank should have a low pressure pump in the tank with a shared fuel reservoir that then goes to the high pressure pump and the filter is between the high pressure pump and the fuel rail.
 
I wouldn't dismiss the age of the gas in your front tank. Today's gas seems s to go to "varnish" much faster than older stuff. Maybe it's the Ethanol? I had similar problems and had to drop the tank. The pump screen was almost totally gummed up and the pump was very questionable. The tank had a lot of loose debris and rust. I cleaned the tank and installed a new pump. Working great now.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top