transfer case replacement

I have a 1991 F-150 with E40D that the transfer case is bad in (I think, my mechanic will let me know for sure in a day or so).

I can get a transfer case from an 85 Bronco (had a C6) for little to no money. Will they interchange?
 
As far as mounting a different t-case to your E4OD from the 85 Bronco, yes it will work. Your current t-case is a B-W 13-56, and the 85 model is either a B-W 13-45 or NP208. The C6 and E4OD are similar trannies, so the bolt patterns should fit any of those t-cases. The shifter linkage is different for each model, so you will also need the one from the 85 donor to bolt to the transmission. Since each t-case is a different width, you may need longer or shorter driveshafts than your current ones, but the slip joints allow for some of the difference. If you have the electric-shift version of the B-W t-case in your 91, you will have more work to do to install the floor shifter.
 
And if you have a bolt on flange for the driveshaft mating on your current T case good luck finding one that will fit the older T case . 1980 to 1986 have a 30 spline output shaft and 87 to 96 have a 31 spline output shaft . Thats why I ended up rebuilding the one in my 91 cause all the older ones I had I couldnt fit the flange to the T case and the driveshaft in a 91 uses the flange mount and has the double u joint driveshaft . There is nothing to these T cases really so You shouldnt be afraid of jumping into it . Take the yokes off both sides and take out all the cover bolts and your in . See what failed and then get on ebay theres a place on there in ebay motors that sells everything for that T case . The place is called transmission exchange company . Dont try to get the parts from Ford or youll have mental scars from the molesting theyll give ya for the rest of your life . I needed one gear for the 4 low section they told me $800 because they no longer sell it individually you have to buy the whole gear set found this place got it for like $30 . They have shift forks, chains ( not cheap ones either there cloyes and like $70 is what I paid for the one I got , And if you call them they can get ya anything you need even the bushing for the slip yoke style ones like my 95 F150 has in it . The bushing was like $20 and ford wanted over $100 for it cause they only sell it with the whole tailshaft cover now . Check em out itll be cheaper for ya and if you get stuck theres people here to ask what to do next . Feel free to email me I hurt my back today and will be laid up for a couple weeks . :D
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top