Tranny Swap Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter zoo9pop
  • Start date Start date
Z

zoo9pop

Guest
Hi guys, I've been wanting to fix up my old rust bucket 86 Bronco for years now....
351w is shot, but it's got a 4 speed and rancho suspension 4" lift and alot of cool 4x4 parts...
Anyway, Today I found a 90 Bronco with a great running FI 5.0 and a good body but a shot auto tranny.Do you guy's think I could swap the manual from the 86 into the 90? How about the suspension parts?Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, zoo9pop [-o<
 
Well I Did it...I bought the 90 and have pulled the manual trans. out of the 86......
tonight we pull the auto......I'll keep you posted [-o<
 
The big question is , what kind of 4-speed do you have in the 86? If it's a T-18 or NP435, it would be worth all of the trouble swapping it into the 90, along with the clutch pedal and likage. If it's one of the p.o.s. overdive models, I would look for a C-6 auto for the 90 instead. I would also seriously consider swapping the 351W for the 302. Definitely sounds like a good tech article topic! Good Luck!

Oh yeah, the lift kit will work on the 90, too, as will most other suspension parts.
 
It's a t-18, I chickened out on doing it myself.My buddy will do the swap for 400.00
I have everything out but the clutch pedal and slave cylinder......As soon as I get
that out It's off to Jake's..I have the tranny, flywheel,clutch and all the bolts already in the back of the 90.The front of the 86 is on blocks and the lift kit is coming out.
 
you'll need a flywheel for the 302. the 351w flywheel will bolt to the 302, but you'll have a slight viberation from it. Thats whats holding me up swapping my 351w in my 86 to replace the 302. plus i'm in no hurry so haven't been huntin for one.
 
I Didn't know that the 351 flywheel would cause a vibration.....Dang it! So, you need a 351 flywheel and I need a 302......Sounds like we need to Swap.I'm in Utah
 
I took the flywheel to my local speed shop and he is going to balance it for the 302.
he's putting on a new set of teeth ,resurfacing and balancing for 130.00. I picked up a new pressure plate and clutch and throw out bearing....the install starts on monday.
 
:lol: It's in!!!!We used the 90's auto transfer case with the t-18......What a stump puller!Thanks for the tip on the Flywheel.I would have bolted the 351 flywheel to the 302(it would have made a great paint shaker)Now I need to bolt on the lift kit and buy those 35" kumho's I've been eyeing.........The weirdest thing though....we used the 86 pedal assembly and the steering wheel ended up about 1.25 inches to the left of center!?! any ideas? it's all tight and there is no adjustment...
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top