Tranny Fluid

challenger6pak

New Member
Hey, this is my first manual transmission vehicle. What kind of fluid am I supposed to fill it with? ATF or gear oil? It is a 67 3 speed.

Also, what should I put in the transfer case. I use ATF in my new truck, are these any different?

thanks,
matt
 
Gear oil in both of them. I use 85-140W in my transfer case and you could use the same in your tranny. The newer transfer cases are mde to handle the ATF, as such, so are the seals. Some people even drain out the ATF in their tranafer cases and replace it with gear oil. I would even suggest putting some Lucas oil additive in both. I know in my 205, it helps it run cooler, quieter and easier to shift. If you don't have a Haynes or Chilton's, pick them up since they will give you the lube requirements for you vehicle.
 
Trans SAE 80 or 90 weight gear lube.
T case above 10*F SAE 50
below 10*F SAE 30
That is from the service manual....
I run 50 w in my daily drivers t case all year round, 90 in the trans.
We use synth 75 90 in the girlfriends winter beater Bronco's trans and t case.
 
I scoped out the wb site as well. I also happen to notice that he's a dealer for Schaffer oil (never heard of them), so I wonder how acurate his tests are. I will still continue to add Lucas to my engine, trans case and rear end.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top