Torque Converters

hawk2100n

New Member
I posted this topic in the other forum but no replies. what kind of Torque Converter does an 86 351 w with a 3 speed at withot O/D. is it lockup or standard. also can it wear out.
 
hawk2100n,
Torque converters don't really wear out but if they get too hot the fins inside can come loose and stop working as efficiently and make it feel like the unit is slipping or on a high mileage tranny they can get kina cloged with crud from the rest of the transmission like fricton plate clutch material and small metal shavings from the steel plates since the torque converter is the last place the fluid goes to before it goes to the cooler then back to the filter. I don't believe they ever put a lockup converter in the C6's but to find out for sure you could look and see if there are any wires going to the tranny other than the neutral safety switch wiring. Hope this helps a little.
Stephen Hawk
[email protected]
 
if you drop your pan and see some copper looking material then that is a sign of the torque starting to come apart.
 
Thanks, if I get some time I will try it. Im thinking about just putting a manual tranny and not even messing with the auto anymore.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top