Tool To Remove Seat Belt Bolt

  • Thread starter Thread starter Desert Donk
  • Start date Start date
D

Desert Donk

Guest
Howdy,

I'm in the middle of putting in some new carpet from ACC in my 85 Bronco. When it came time to remove the seat belt I found some strange looking bolt in there and have nothing to remove it with. A search on the internet told me that GM has a special tool but no mention of Fords. Any ideas what I could use? Thanks.
 
The bolt that Ford uses is a Torx bolt. It requires a Torx socket and rachet to get it off.
 
Thank you. I saw on the internet where GM uses a Torx bolt but no mention of Ford. I'll call around and see where I can get one.
 
Thanks. I found another site on the internet where a guy is working on a late model expedition and says it's a T50. Not sure if that is valid for an 85 Bronco.
 
Forget the wait of web sites, go to your local parts store today. They have them on the shelf in many sizes. Most rigs use torx for seatbelts, its a common tool to have.
 
Broncoholics said:
Forget the wait of web sites, go to your local parts store today. They have them on the shelf in many sizes. Most rigs use torx for seatbelts, its a common tool to have.
I definitely will get one at a store in town. I just don't know the size as yet. I was using the internet to see if someone mentions which one in a web page somewhere. I have the inside gutted to put in new carpet but if push comes to shove I'll stick the drivers seat back in and drive it down to the store and test fit some. :)
 
I replaced my carpet a while back. Check out my gallery. I believe it is a T50, it was the biggest bit I had in the set. Get yourself a breaker bar too, mine were a real bitch to take out.
 
FLYFSHIN said:
I replaced my carpet a while back. Check out my gallery. I believe it is a T50, it was the biggest bit I had in the set. Get yourself a breaker bar too, mine were a real bitch to take out.
It was a T 50. I had never heard of a Torx bolt before and didn't really know what they were. Down at NAPA they sold me 45 47 and a 50 and said I could bring back the 2 I didnt need. They were only 6 or 7 bucks apiece and I was thinking this was going to be much more. Thanks for the help and I'll check out your gallery.
 
No problem. Keep those extra torx bits, they will come in handy. Many GM, Ford, and assorted foreign cars use Torx headed bolts on the brake assembly, although most use a T50 as well.
 
Yes, it is a T-50 for the seatbelts, some seat bolts, door and tailgate strikers. Be sure it fits before you leave the NAPA store, as there are a few different types. The 90 and up hardtop bolts are Torx, but anti-theft or tamper-proof and have a slightly different pattern to the head. The smaller sizes are used for the mirror bolts, dash bezel screws and other items throughout some various year model Broncos. A complete set is about $10, and you can either buy the bit that fits inside a socket or one molded into a socket. The bits are cheaper but easier to break. You can always substitute a regular bolt for them to make things easier in the future!!!
 
Justshootme84 said:
Yes, it is a T-50 for the seatbelts, some seat bolts, door and tailgate strikers. Be sure it fits before you leave the NAPA store, as there are a few different types. The 90 and up hardtop bolts are Torx, but anti-theft or tamper-proof and have a slightly different pattern to the head. The smaller sizes are used for the mirror bolts, dash bezel screws and other items throughout some various year model Broncos. A complete set is about $10, and you can either buy the bit that fits inside a socket or one molded into a socket. The bits are cheaper but easier to break. You can always substitute a regular bolt for them to make things easier in the future!!!
Thanks for all that. I have the new seatbelt in and the new carpet. It's obviously a job done by a novice, but it is much better than the worn out 19 year old vinyl flooring that was in there.

BTW justshootme, I saw the pictures of your Bronco in the gallery and that is one sweet machine. One of the nicest I have ever seen.

Mine is just a stock 300 CID that I bought new in 85. It was the basic model, didn't even have a courtesy light switch on the passenger door. Nothing that was not absolutely necessary. :)

But it's been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It towed 20 foot boats around Arizona for 15 years. Took a gang of hardcore skydivers out to the patch weekly. Snow Skiing trips all during the winter. No hardcore 4 wheeling but a lot of camping in out of the way places most people don't know about. Can't get in there without 4WD, up stream beds, over mountains, etc. Managed 100 or 150 offroad miles a year. Lots of torque in that engine and if you just put it in low and idle it will go over about anything. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it until it dies completely.
 
Thanks, bro, I've had my baby for 4 years now. My advice is to take your time, just get her running properly before adding too many mods. I spent about a year just doing that, but had a vision of an ultimate machine in my mind. I'm only halfway there, too!!! The little things like the seatbelts, tailgate glass, etc. can eat up your wallet. I just look at these as a monthly truck payment, and that's still cheaper than a new rig. Glad you love the Broncos, and the 300I6 is no slouch either. Take some care of it, and it should last you many years to come,

Randy JSM84 <):)
 
speaking of seatbelts, does anyone know where i can get some NEW plastic things that hold the buckles up where you can grab them easily. mine died along with all of the other interior plastic. i know jc whitney and lmc truck doesnt have them.
 
It is a T-50 but don't try to use an impact gun with them. A friend of mine broke 3 of them before he figured it out, hahaha.
 
hawk2100n said:
speaking of seatbelts, does anyone know where i can get some NEW plastic things that hold the buckles up where you can grab them easily. mine died along with all of the other interior plastic. i know jc whitney and lmc truck doesnt have them.
I'm not sure which piece you are talking about... would it be the sleeve that holds up the female end between the seat and the console? If it is a fastener, try

http://northlandfasteners.biz

I found a piece for a Taurus, Northland part number N19752

If it is a clip, call Northland, they don't have very much of what they have available on their web site.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top