Tire Sizes

Deezel_Dusten

New Member
Well, i am looking to see who is running what lift, and what tires you have under it. I am looking to run some 39.5x13.5's on my 79, and i am not afraid of massaging the body to make them fit.
 
This one had 44's on it right before I bought it. It has 3 or 4" body lift and a 4" suspension lift, and looks like a little fender trimming was done.
 

Attachments

  • MVC_003S.JPG
    MVC_003S.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 40
I have a 4" suspension and 2" body lift I run 36x15.50x15 and have plenty of room for more but to keep all your wheel travel without cutting anything you might want to go with more body lift to fit 39's
 
No body lift, i dont really like em. Cutting the fenders is going to happen, but the Bronco is a trail rig, not a street rig, so its not much a big deal to me.
 
i have a 6" suspension and i ran 36x12.50 till they wore out and i had just enouph room to clear the feenders when all the way cranked there was about an inch clearence . that is with no fender trimming and no body lift.
 
It seems to me that gear ratio would be more important to consider when thinking of going to bigger tires. Sure you need to have clearance so that you don't rub or cut anything, but if your gears are too high then what's the point, you won't be able to turn them. :)>-
 
Gear ratio isnt a big deal, it is a pretty simple calculation on what gears to run to return to stock, and then from there personal preference to go steeper. Tire clearance vs lift varies widely with vehicle, i was just trying to get a rough idea. A good example is, a 99 Chevy, put 6" on and you can clear 35's, i wouldnt go much bigger. a 96 F-350, 6" and i am easily clearing 37's with not rub off road at all.
 
Sorry I guess I was a little unclear. What I meant to say is that in my mind it's more important how a rig runs and works than how it looks. Big tires look cool I'll admit that but if the truck can't spin them then what's the point? Function over fashion. B)
 
Its not so much that i want the looks of the tires, the bronco is a dedicated trail rig, and as such, i want as big of tire as possible with as little lift, i am trying to keep the center of gravity low.
 
That makes sense to keep the gravity low, and I can appreciate it. I have run into probelms breaking parts when trying to run big tires, and it's ussually on the trail and drive lines seem to be the most common. After going to lower gears the truck pulled much better up and over some nasty stuff and I haven't had a single problem with the drivelines or axles. B)
 
:P ON my frist 79 I had a 6" suspenion left and bushwacker cutout flares,38x15.50 andno problem with rubbing.I have since had 2 others with 36's and 35's would recomened at least 6"s of lift plus a 3" body lift or cutout flares, if your going to be doing real hard core wheeling go with an 8"or 10" lift or an 8 an a 2" body lift. Hope this helps
 
you should be able to get away with a 4 in lifif it's a highboy. if it's not then i would have to say 6". i can run 33's on my 78 F250 4x4 stock height. with a 2 " lift i can run 35's and with a 4" i can run 38's. Just my $0.02
 
ok you should be able to get away with a 4" and get a pair of Bushwaker fender flares(the ones you trim a bit like the bronco above) and you should be set.
 
don't do a body lift. they just make your truck more top heavy. Do a bigger lift before a body lift. they're not as easy as jacking the body up and slipping them in. you gotta worry about linkages, Levers, etc.
 
i have a 79 with a 3" body lift and it will fit 38's with little to no wheel travel and they rub the frame at lock in either direction looking at 4" suspention lift to run 38"s with more travel and clearence at the frame
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top