tire chains

I just got a 2006 F-350 with 18in aluminum wheels. I went to buy tire chains for it at the local parts store. The salesman checked, and then told me Ford doesn't recommend using chains because of a clearance problem with the brake lines, however cables are O.K.
Has anybody tried using chains with and '05 or '06 w/ 18's. I really don't want to be stuck with cables.
 
The brake line clearance does look a little tight. I called out to some Western Colorado Ford dealers to ask them what they thought. I figured they might have a little more experience with chains out there.

They all told me people are using chains, you just have to be careful and make sure they are on extra tight.

I ordered a set, but haven't tried them yet. I will next week. If anybody's interested I could tell you how they fit.
 
walkercreekbronco said:
The brake line clearance does look a little tight. I called out to some Western Colorado Ford dealers to ask them what they thought. I figured they might have a little more experience with chains out there.

They all told me people are using chains, you just have to be careful and make sure they are on extra tight.

I ordered a set, but haven't tried them yet. I will next week. If anybody's interested I could tell you how they fit.
[snapback]16916[/snapback]​

I have a 2005 with 18's and aluminum. I have the same problem and would be interested in how they work.
 
I might have found some that work. I did find some SAE Class S chains at tirechain.com (Diamond Tire chains) for that size -- 275-70R18. I haven't ordered them. They are 3.8 mm, but still might be better than cables. Are the Diamonds the ones you ordered, tried, but were still too close?
 
I would be interested in knowing. I have a 2004 F150 Supercab 2wd STX and it does not like the the snow, ice on an incline. I have 17in wheels aluminum.
 
We did away with chains and went to studded tires on the newer trucks. If they worked loose tore allot of stuff up.

They really need to go back to 16" on stuff and give some clearance
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top