Timing On A 84 351 4v Ho

  • Thread starter Thread starter RagunCajn
  • Start date Start date
R

RagunCajn

Guest
Hey guys, I am new to fords here. I recently installed a mallory unilte distribitor with mechanical advance in my 84 Bronco with a 351 4v. What is the recommended timing to set the motor at? I just have it set by ear right now.

Thanks
Chris
 
Look on the sticker that is on tghe front of your truck just under the hood left side. I would venture a guess that it is 10 BTDC. I have a 351 and that is what the sticker I am using says.

Tiime it with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Look on the sticker that is on the front of your truck just under the hood left side as you are looking at the truck from the front. Probably less confusing to say passenger side that is untill I just saw a right side drive Bronco. I would venture a guess that it is 10 BTDC. I have a 351 and that is what the sticker I am using says.

Tiime it with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Thanks for the advice, I forgot to mention that my sticker is for a 300 I6 so apparently my front support has been changed before :)
 
It's a matter of much debate, but apprarently you can set it at 13 degrees and it will boost HP by 20 ponies. I have not had time to set mine to 13 yet, but I plan on it. I dont have the HO motor though, I have a 351w. Not sure if that matters or not.
 
Tell you what Flyfishin, I am working on mine this afternoon if it don't rain. I'll bump it back to 13 and see if it feels more powerful. I'll let you know. A real Ford expert friend of mine did mention using non standard timing plus a few carb tweaks that will boost the power quite a bit. He builds racing engines and I expect he knows what he is talking about. Though some of them will probably improve the local gas stations profits :lol:

Good luck,

:)>-
 
I moved my timing back and played with it and set it to about 12 to 13. the truck runs better than ever before. I learned this all by trial and error. that is good to know that i am not the only one with the timing advanced.
P.S. I have a 351w 4v HO
 
Sweet. I still have not had time to set mine to 13, but after my exhaust is done I'm going to for sure.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top