timing issues

BigBlockF-100

New Member
my 428 has some timing issues in that I need to resolve as soon as I can. I adjusted the distributor accordingly and it still has problems. My dad mentioned something about timing marks. Would this help?
 
On the front of your engine down by the crankshaft toward the passenger side you should find a metal pointer that sticks out over the crank dampener (a thick metal ring on the crankshaft). On this crank dampener, you should find some numbers stamped in (you may have to clean off some crud). The numbers shoud read something like 20 I I I I 10 I I I I 0 I I I I 10 I I I I 20. The zero in the middle is top dead center on #1 in your firing order. The numbers to the right of zero are degrees of advance. The numbers to the left are retard. Typically, this era Ford will run from 6 to 10 degrees initial advance (with the vacuum advance unhooked and plugged. Clean the crannk dampener with some good solvent, then with a white or yellow paint pen, mark the proper timing mark and the edge of the above mentioned pointer. Unhook and plug the vacuum hose going to the vacuum advance (the round thing sticking out of the side of the distributor). Hook up your timing light to #1 cyl. (the front cyl on the passenger side) Loosen the distributor hold down bolt, start the engine and adjust so that the timing light flashes as the two marks are aligned.
 
my 428 has some timing issues in that I need to resolve as soon as I can. I adjusted the distributor accordingly and it still has problems. My dad mentioned something about timing marks. Would this help?


break down and buy a manual.... or ask someone who you know is knowledgeable about cars... setting the timing is a relatively simple thing to do.... just hard to explain on a chat module. Ebay has lots of cds and such with autmotive info for sale... search in the Auto section and use the Make/Model/Year boxes on the left, always check the box that says "search in title and description" you will get a lot more results.
 
my 428 has some timing issues in that I need to resolve as soon as I can. I adjusted the distributor accordingly and it still has problems. My dad mentioned something about timing marks. Would this help?
does it have an aftermarket cam? and what are the issues?
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top