Tailgate Windshield Motor

  • Thread starter Thread starter sondial
  • Start date Start date
S

sondial

Guest
Does anyone know how the tailgate windshield motor is wired for a '79 Full size Bronco? I can't find a wiring diagram on the tailgate. As I was rolling up the windshield, it all the sudden stopped, as if I'd blown fuse (fuse wasn't blown). With the window half way up, I can't get the tailgate down, and can't really figure out where the wiring harness runs from the fuse box to tailgate. The only wiring I can find is the main harness running underneath, down the frame, but I have no idea of the color scheme so I can begin to troubleshoot.
 
What you may have to do is take the window out of it by removing the 4 bolts & probably the motor to get it out. Another way is to take the cover off and try pushing the buttons on the back side of the key assembly. There are two rubber buttons and a metal piece which moves when you turn the key. Another thing, which I would do first is to take off the left taill light and check for currency . Sometimes the wires on either side of the connection will become heavily corroded and no juice will flow. I would definitely try this first. Good luck
 
hey, there is also a connection just before the window motor. thats the problem all of mine have had. cut the connector off and reconnect it with butt connectors.
 
OK, Did it work I have a Similar Problem. My Motor and all work, but it seems like the person before cut the power wires to the motor all together and now I got the window down, but don't know how to get the window motor back up and all the exhaust is pouring into the cab :-& please can someone help :((
 
OK, Working from the motor out/foward there are 2 wires:
1) One is red w/yellow stripe that goes to the window limit switch (normally closed)
2) The other wire is yellow w/red stripe which goes to the back key switch (up)
3) From window limit switch a tan w/black stripe goes to back key switch (down)

From the back key switch, 4 wires go to the cab/ front switch.
1) Purple w/green stripe (up) goes to a connector near the rear LH (drivers) side of the body. It then goes to the up side of the cab switch.
2) 2 black w/ white stripe wires connect together, go to the connector mentioned above and go to the fuse panel - 20 amp fuse.
3) Purple w/ black stripe wire goes to the body connector and goes to the down side of the cab switch.

There is also a "window regulator safety relay" in the system. This relay spliced between the cab switch and the power to the cab switch. Not sure what it does, and I've never looked for it.

Haynes Ford Pick-ups & Bronco 1973-1979 has the wiring diagrams and source of above info. I've found it to be quite accurate, but Ford did like to change wire colors mid prodution from time to time.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top