Tailgate Window Problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter buckin_bronc
  • Start date Start date
B

buckin_bronc

Guest
Hi

My tailgate window will only go up or down when I connect the wires directly to the battery. Any info would be great thx
 
I just finished making mine work..
Did you check your leads going to your motor?
I had a broken wire going to my window motor wires.
 
brentusbrutus said:
I just finished making mine work..
Did you check your leads going to your motor?
I had a broken wire going to my window motor wires.
yes I did . I Replaced all the wiring in the tailgate.
 
can you verify that you have power where your wires connect to your window motor?
Is your key on to accessory position at the ignition

Have you searched the forums for similar problems..

There are switches that over ride the window motor. For instance, if your tailgate window isn't closed all the way.
Is your key lock wire working, is there power to that. If you do a search in this forum, some one discusses how to bypass that switch. Right now my only way to open my window is from my dashboard switch. I have everything else bypassed.

Check your Fuses as well. Good Luck :)
 
If I understand you correctly, you took a set of wires directly to the motor plug and it wouldn't move. If that is the case, then you have just isolated the problem to the motor. Aslong as you have made good contact the motor will move if it is good. connecting the leads one way should make it go down and reversing the connection should make it go up.

I just fixed my neighbors window and the problem was in the plug itself. We cut it off and replaced the plug. The motor works just fine now, it wouldn't move prior to replacing the plug so don't overlook that possibility.

I will scan in the circuit diagram for the motor control and attach it to the next post.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Ok sorry for that stupid response. I am attaching the Tailgate motor control diagram to this. One of the connectors that often fails due to corrosion is the one located on the left hand sideof the frame rear cross member(C123). The mid 80's trucks also have a connector behind the left tail light (C1907). I have seen both fail due to corrosion.

I wouldn't bypass the keyswitch on the tailgate since it is the least likely to fail. However the limit switch often fails an can be bypassed, it is on a lot of older trucks.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
thanks for the replies guys! will keep you posted on how it goes ;)
 
Bypassing the Tailgate limit switch isn't a big deal and a lot of trucks have them bypasses. That switch only prevents operating the window when the tailo gate is down. As far as I'm concerned bypassing it is a plus since it allows you to raise the window out of the way if you need to work on the inside of the tail gate such as getting at some of the connectors and components. You just need to be carefull not to put too much pressure on the glass when it is extended.

Good luck,

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top