Tailgate Rust

Daddude

New Member
The lower panel of my tailgate is rusting out and yes I know this is a problem that many have had. Where do I get the panel ??? NPD sent me a catalog but they only have the entire tailgate.Last year I was surfing the web and found a company that supplied this lower panel but I have been unable to refind them. Need to know from someone soon for it looks like hell since the rest of my 94 looks great!!
 
I've seen a few Broncos with diamond plate aluminum or smooth aluminum riveted onto the lower panel covering the rust. I think it looks cool.
 
jeff's bronco graveyard carries the diamond plate panel....whole tailgates as well...going to pick mine up this weekend!
 
I just pruchaced one for my 83 from NPD for $38. They do have it and its right on the same page as the tailgates are. Its calledthe lower tailgate skin. Also, rplace your whether stripping(Thats the dmn problem!) :P
 
TPLS JNNY said:
jeff's bronco graveyard carries the diamond plate panel....whole tailgates as well...going to pick mine up this weekend!
I seen those on broncograveyard.com, but I only saw them listed for 66-77 Broncos.
 
Guest said:
TPLS JNNY said:
jeff's bronco graveyard carries the diamond plate panel....whole tailgates as well...going to pick mine up this weekend!
I seen those on broncograveyard.com, but I only saw them listed for 66-77 Broncos.
Thanks for the reply and I will check out JBG's catalog.I just received it the other day.Thanks again! ;)
 
Also, rplace your whether stripping(Thats the dmn problem!) .

No offense intended, but actually that isn't the problem. There are two types of rust involved in the body, one from moisture dirt and salt. The other is galvonic rust which is a result of electrical current running thru the skin (starts mainly at welds and moves on from there).

There is no way to prevent water from gettting inside the tail gate. It is a good idea though, since the old hard weather stripping contributes to sctatching up the widow. You need to cut out all rust to get rid of it before putting on any new skin. If you don't it will continue to eat away at the tail gate. Once you have the rust cut out, seal the inside with something like POR15 which will seal any surface rust. Make sure the drain holes in the bottom are clear so when water gets in can drain out.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
I dn't think the factory drain holes are in the best location - hence everybodys tailgate rusts. I put on a new one and drilled additional holes in the bottom just behind the front panel near the seam (where the rust seems to originate). Remember to treat the drilled holes with a rust preventive (rust converter).
 
Goood idea Cactus Jack. I would also seal the entire inside of the tail gate with a product like POR15. If it seems like I own stock in POR15, I don't, it just happens to be the product I use and am pleased with the results :wub: . Also, I know others that use it with similar results.

:)>-
 
If you fix it or replace the whole tailgate, here's a bit of advise. When I bought my fullsize Bronco, I was well aware of how they rust pretty bad across the bottom. Mine started swelling at the bottom as if it was beginning to rust. One day I took off the window access panel inside and looked inside at the bottom. There is a little trench inside the bottom that collects all the crap and starts to rust. Here's what I did, I took some grease(the blueish green stuff that you repack bearings with) and filled and coated the entire bottom of the tailgate from the inside. I filled the entire trench. You could use a grease gun, but I just used my fingers. It was messy but well worth it. I did all this about a year ago and the minor rust on my tailgate has not spread one bit even through this harsh snowy winter.
 
Another good idea by BroncoForever B) . I know a guy that does a similar thing when he get a new car and never gets rust out. He uses a heavy oil and sprayes it in all the places where rust usually starts inside doors, rocker panels, door posts, etc. He had to put down cardboard to catch the excess until it quit dripping though. :D

I had forgotten about that untill BroncoForever mentioned the grease.

Ford tried and failed to seal that area with putty which after a year or two got hard and came out or just let the water seap in. :-&

Good luck,

:)>-
 
I have just read all the replies from you Bronco Heads and there are some good ones about the rust problem in the tailgate. The grease one is really a good idea.I wish I had thought of that back when I first started to see bubbling on the lower panel.I presently have diamond plate over the rust and it doesnt look bad at all.I used an old tailgate diamond plate trim that was on my old 88F150 tailgate .It fits over the area very good about an inch and a half up.Itll be fine for now until I hunt down either a new skin or used from junk yard.
clap.gif
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top