Stupid Tailgate

Bradt

New Member
So I've had a working tailgate for a week now, and I've already messed it up. I had to pull out my parking brake today to get the ratchet on it freed up. Well, somewhere along the way I must have done something to the wiring because my back window switch won't work, and my left blinker won't blink. It comes on, just won't blink. Wipers and lights seem to work fine. Everything else looks good too.

I reseated the connection at the switch itself, checked the fuses, and looked for anything that came unplugged. I found the usual plethora of disconneced ends in there, but nothing that looked like it had come unplugged, and certainly nothing that had a mate that I could find.

I'm probably gonna hate the answers, but any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad

P.S.-I did get the parking brake fixed. Managed to twist the bolt in half with a stuck nut, but there's still enough there to get it back on. Guess I'm stronger than I thought!!
 
It's just possible that the blinker problem is a seperate problem from the tail gate. The blinker won't blink unless bothe bulbs are working. If they are both on when you try to operate them then you are back to the flasher. I assume you were wrenching under the dash area. Could be you knocked the flasher loose or broke a wire.

Diagram attached

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Also a diagram of the tail gate window circuit, both are from the 83 EVTM so there may be slight differences for your truck.

Good luck,


:)>-
 
Thanks Seabronc. Those will really help. It's hard to see under there without ripping the whole dash apart.

I'm reasonably certain that I yanked something or broke a wire while I was under there trying to get at the ratchet. Than pedal assembly is a bear to maneuver out of there and back in. Looking at the gate diagram it would appear that I probably hit something between the switch and the fuse box. If that's the case I'd wager dollars to donuts I did the same thing with the blinker.

Brad
 
I'm almost ashamed to admit this. I fixed the tailgate/blinker problem. There wasn't anything to fix really. After putting it off for almost 2 weeks because I really didn't want to trace wires and check connections, I went at it.

I spent most of the morning tracing wires. The switch was good. Wiring was good to it. It was good all the way to the back of the truck and I kept thinking "I must have missed something, it couldn't be back here." Well I did, and it was.

The same day I was working on the parking brake I removed the wiring kit for towing to put on another vehicle. Well guess what I did. That's right. I forgot to reconnect the cables where I took out the bridge for the wiring. So after 4 hours of tracing wires, one little connection and it was done.

Ok, you can all laugh and point now.
Brad
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top