Stuck Window

  • Thread starter Thread starter buckinbronk
  • Start date Start date
B

buckinbronk

Guest
I have an 87' bronco and the tailgate window wont go down. I am sure its the regulator roller but what i need help with is how many are there to replace?
 
2....,although they are not really rollers since they are square. Are you sure this is the problem? There are many other reasons your window won't go down.
 
Yes I am sure that this is the problem. At the end of the regulator arm that controls the up-and-down movement of the glass in the tailgate uses pins that hold the rollers. These pins tend to break off, causing the rollers, and the window not to work anymore. I was just not sure how many of these rollers and pins to buy and I didnt want to tear the whole assembly apart without knowing how many parts I needed to buy.
 
I've been inside and out in my tail gate several times including replacing regulator and glass. I have never encountered rollers. The part at the end of the regulator arms is square. It slides in a track attached to the bottom of the window. It is possible that the connection can break and cause the window not to function. However, I wold expect the window to cock when atttempting to open it if one of those broke. Have never seen a broken one though.

Are you sure the motor is functioning?

Good luck,

:)>-
 
What is happening is when I push the button the motor runs but nothing happens. You can hear a clicking noise and the window will go up and down when you push it and will go up if you pull it. Anymore advice will help me alot.
 
Roll down the window, Or push it down. Open your tailgate. Push the left side striker latch closed, with the access panel out, you can look in, and see what's going on.

It sounds like the bushings in your gear head are gone. This is a common problem with old window motors. The worm gear spins, but the plastic gear, that turns the steel gear, just sits and spins.

If this is the case, take your motor out, there will be a phillips head screw holding the gear cover on, take it off, and pull the steel gear out of the plastic gear. There should be 3 round plastic bushings about 1/2" in diameter under it. You will probably find at least one of these is powder. You can get the kit at your local autoparts for about $15.00, or you can make your own, possibly free. I will tell you how, if this is the problem.

Let us know how it goes.
 
Yup! Sounds like the gear to me also. If you have to, the motor is easily replaced incase Sweepres method isn't the fix. replacement gears are $15 at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, see the 80 and up catalog page 71.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
PS.

Jeff's catalog calls those square things rollers, :wacko: so I guess they are :unsure: . I stand corrected :blush: :-"

Good luck,

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top