stuck distributor

Hal

New Member
trying to unstick a 460 distributor. trying to adjust timing. loosened hold down bolt but distributor will not budge. any ideas. tried liquid wrench. nothing.
 
yo HAL,
WELCOME!
I usually use a scratch awl and remove as much corrosion between the distributor and the block as I can, then use a huge adjustable wrench to turn it after dousing it with Kroil.



I used some pb blaster and a little knocking from my hammer and it budged.

Mix a small bottle of 50/50 ATF and acetone (nail polish remover is made of acetone)


taped it around with the BFH pretty hard, but I was planning to replace it anyway


Some tips from other 78/79 Bronco owners;
Didn't want to use a torch for fear of damaging plastic parts. Used oil and a 12" pipe wrench (instead of water pump pliers, because it grips/bites harder when turned) a cheater pipe and lots of gentle tapping with a BFH. Didn't make the dizzy housing shaft any prettier, but it came out and sandpaper smoothed most of the marks.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top