Stripper!

  • Thread starter Thread starter buckinbronk
  • Start date Start date
B

buckinbronk

Guest
When I bought my bronco the owner before me painted over the chrome on the grille and headlight assemble and I was wondering if what I could use to get it off. Would a regular paint stripper work without harming the chrome, or is there something else i could use?
 
Do you mean the long panel on the tailgate?
If that is what you are talking about, it is brushed stainless so you should be able to strip the paint without harming the finish, just test in an area that will not be seen by others. You will need to clean it and repolish it when you are done.

Now for the bad news. You need to sand chrome to give it a rough surface so the paint will stick to it. Assuming the last owner did it right, the chrome will never shine the way it should.
You will be better off replacing the chrome around the headlights if you want the chrome to look right.
Did he paint it black or a different color? If it is a different color you might want to repaint it black as that was a standard color for the trim.
 
This is all on the front of the bronco. The paint on the grille is chipping and I can see the crome underneath, and it doesnt look like he sanded the chrome before he painted.
 
I can't believe that someone would paint the grill and headlight shrouds unless they were in bad shape to start with. However, I also believe that they are plastic and stripper will probably eat them up :( .

New grill and shrouds are available from Jeff's Bronco graveyard, see the 80 and up catalog pg 72 :lol: . I would just replace the ones you have.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
I thing that the chrome is not really chrome but kind of like a sticker. Not real chrome but more of a decal...At least my peals off like it is. I agree with the others, I would just buy another set from Jeff's, Bronco Hut, or go to a junkyard and look for a Bronco that was totalled from the rear (good luck). Have some fun.
 
ooops , That 'Guest' post was really me..I forgot to log in...
You know..I just got so excited.. :D
 
well i sanded it all down and I am goin to be putting on a dark grey. I hope it looks allright. [-o<
 
Well, if it's a sticker, you can get that rocker panel sticker stuff from O-O-O-O'Reilly's for $20. But it may be cheaper to buy new. You could also get a billet grill for around $75 shipped on eBay. Just don't bid one the used one I'm bidding on. You could probably also get clear corners, unless the chrome part doesn't come with them. About $55 for them, shipped.

I painted my grill with Dupli-Color wheel paint. I didn't like it at first, but I like it better now.
179578_119_full.jpg
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top