Strange Starting Problem - '88 Bronco

  • Thread starter Thread starter bronco_kid
  • Start date Start date
B

bronco_kid

Guest
I'm a beginner so bare with me. My bronco won't start. The key will turn the ignition but no sounds, crank, spin, nothing. I've installed a new starter, starter cable, solenoid, and battery. Still nothing. The truck powers up, all of the lights and electrical stuff works. Although, I did notice that with the key turned in the start position, I cannot shift out of park. I fould this out while getting it towed, nor can I apply the parking brake or release the brake.

Any help greatly appreciated.
 
Sounds like a mechanical issue in the column, possibly the switch itself..

I haven't messed with too many columns, so I can't help pinpoint it.. :)
 
I had the same porblem with one my trucks. to find out if it is the ignition switch just jump the starter, If the truck turns over then you know you're switch is bad.
 
I'd have to agree. I know the key is supposed to disengage the steering wheel lockout when it's turned, so the lock cylinder is probably broken.

The key itself and the lock cylinder for that matter do not directly make the electrical connections to start the vehicle. The ignition key lock cylinder pushes and pulls a rod (which is on top of my 1985 bronc's column). This rod is attatched to a box about the size of a matchbox and is approximately 18-20" down the steering column. The rod moves a pad with electical contact points across a set of hot points and connections, actuating the required task (start, run, accessory) This box has a bunch of large gauge wires (I think 10-12g.) That are yellow, black, ect. running into and out of it. I would strongly advise not taking this box apart, as there are several pieces in it that are spring loaded!! I made that mistake and fixed it 3 1/2 hours later :blink:

If your electrical system is good, and depressing the brake pedal won't let you put the old gal in gear, then the problem almost HAS to be mechanical in nature. Get a Chilton's AND Hayne's repair manual (good cross reference, but some errors), as there is a specific way to replace the inition lock cylinder. Good luck. B)
 
One more thought. Bear with me, because my Bronc is an'85. When you depress the brake to shift it, the brake pedal makes a connection and allows the shift lever to move. I'm not sure how this system works, but you may want to check that switch as well.
 
My 88 you dont have to depress the brake pedal to shift still not new enough for that I would try to wire the starter right to the batt and see if it starts
 
When you get to the last stage before starting does the fan for the heat and air come on? Does the steering wheel unlock?

Since it's an automatic and you know the shifting doesn't work right, maybe that's the culprit. Most cars, when the key is turned and they're not all the way in park, will do the same thing. Lights and electrics work, but no turnover. You say you can get it into park, but are you sure that it is really registering as being in park?

Brad
 
if you have a chilton's or a haynes manual look up neutral safety switch. this switch is designed to only allow the vehecle to start in park or neutral. i will take a look at my manual to to see where it is. also look at all the fuses and inspect all the fusible links to the solenoid. if you know how to bypass a solenoid to start it i would check that next. but if you don't. don't try it.
 
Check if the Bronco is actually in park or neutral. I replaced the battery, removed the starter and had it checked at autozone. I couldn't figure it out, but the Bronco started right up when I jumped the starter wire. The problem was the truck was in drive and just about ran me over. That's how I found out that my shift cable had broke. The Bronco said park on the column, but was actually in Drive.

Roger
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top