Strange Noise

  • Thread starter Thread starter mcsd1544
  • Start date Start date
M

mcsd1544

Guest
I have a 95 Bronco with 260,000 miles on it and have a strange noise coming from underneath, sounds like a low hum. I have been thinking it is my tires since I didn't have that sound until I put new rubber on her but I have had them rebalanced and rotated and they didn't say anything was wrong with them then. I had a guy today tell me that it might be my U-joints so my question is how do I go about checking them

any help would be appreciated.
 
Usually it is the tires. It also can be a U-joint or the rear end.
Have you checked the fluid level in the rear diff, t-case and tranny?

If you have a friend with the same wheels, try swapping them and see if the sound goes away. If not look into the fluid levels, check for metal and then look into the u-joints. See if you can feel any slop in the u-joint by yanking on it. See if the splines are worn out on the driveline shaft by yanking it around. Usually u-joints will make a vibration feel and sound as they go bad becaseu the needle bearings are worn or gone.
 
I don't have anybody with the same tires but will check the fluids I just had the brakes done and found out I had a bad seal in the rear axle and they pulled the diff cover off then so it is fine. but I will check the rest and let you know if everything checks fine I guess I will get to have a bitch fest with Sears about the tires. since I got the warranty and all.
 
Did you change the size of the tires? If you increased the size it could be showing up a wheel bearing that may be on it's way out.

The U-joint on the shaft or the double carden joint could be on it's way out. Some have grease fittings which never seem to get serviced. Try adding grease to the fittings on the shaft if it has them.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the front drive shaft or axle unless you are putting it in 4x4, since they shouldn't turn unless it is in 4x4. Do you have manual or automatic hubs? A thought just went thru the old bean that someone might have engaged.

Do you have a feel where the noise is comming from, like the front,under the truck center, rear, etc.? That might help in aiding you to locate the problem.

Good luck,

:)>-
 
Some how the 3rd paragraph got cut short. It should have said, "someone might have engaged or partially engaged one. If automatics, one might be engaging when it shouldn't."
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top