Straight 6 Power

brando32

New Member
Hey, i've recently been given a 77 F-150. And i was wondering if anyone has put any upgrades into a straight 6, i've seen you can get a cam, headers, carb, and intake for it which will increase the HP greatly. Has anyone done such a thing to their straight 6, if so how did yuo feel about the outcome and such?

Thanks for the help
 
Hey, i've recently been given a 77 F-150. And i was wondering if anyone has put any upgrades into a straight 6, i've seen you can get a cam, headers, carb, and intake for it which will increase the HP greatly. Has anyone done such a thing to their straight 6, if so how did yuo feel about the outcome and such?

Thanks for the help

i had a buddy put if i recall correctly a edlebrock four barrel 650 cfm carb on his 81 f-150 and it made the truck twice what it was b4 a lot more acceleration throttle response and just all around more power and performance and had a improvement mpg
 
i had a buddy put if i recall correctly a edlebrock four barrel 650 cfm carb on his 81 f-150 and it made the truck twice what it was b4 a lot more acceleration throttle response and just all around more power and performance and had a improvement mpg

The 300 is an awesome motor, makes more torque than a 302, but uses the same rods/pistons. Many other parts interchange, but be careful of harmonic balancers, and flywheels since 300 is externally balanced, 302 internally. 7 main bearings, and good lubrication also means good engine life. A 300 HP motor normally aspirated is easy enough, and will shake up your V-8 buddies.
 
I have a 76 Ford pickup
I had a 240 six cylinder in it. I added a set of headers on to it with a edlebrock intake that would let you put a 4 barrel on it or a adapter plate that would take a two barrel
I then played with both . It has been a few years
I believe I went with a big 850 cfm 4 barrel and put smaller jets in it, also a big two barrel with bigger jets
From that went to a 300 six with same set up and did take the pistons out to a bigger size
It was fun and it did make people take a look
I finally ended up with a 302 with 351 Windsor heads . I do not remember which ones but the push rods are longer on one than the other so compare the 302 and the 351 push rods and go with the shorter . You have to look close as there is only a hair difference
If you are in an emission county then that can be a problem
If I time would have allowed I would have tried more tricks with the 240 and 300 as I think that is where the real fun is
The problem with the 240/300 is being able to bore it out
I did port and polish the head on the 240/300
 
I'm looking at getting more bolt on power versus porting and all that other... more expensive ways. Anyone use the offhauser parts?
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top