Stepside Conversion

joshcook

New Member
Does anyone have any insight or know of any articles or anyone who has done something like I am thinking about trying......

I currently have a 1980 2WD Long Bed standard cab truck rolling chassis.......I like the 1980 model and would like to keep the frame transmission and rearend I have as they were free.......

I was wondering if anyone has ever chopped a long bed frame and turned it into a stepside? I know I would have to relocate the spring hangers and rearend and find a short bed drive shaft, would also have to relocate the end of the frame tubes so i could mount the bumper back to the frame.....

Any ideas suggestions or links to articles or other forums or discussions would be appreciated.......

Hope to hear something soon.......Until then I remain stepside dreamin'
 
When I was younger, my friends and I did something like this a few different times. The trick is to find a level straight chunk of the frame and then to cut the frame on both sides as evenly as possible. Measure as many times as necassary and always use something on the frame as a reference. Then figure out how much you need to remove to bring the box and frame up to the cab. Then cut the frame section out. We would then weld the frames C-channel back up and plate it with 1/4 steel, using bolts and then finally welding it back together. I am sure this is NOT approved of by the powers that be, but I will say that we ran these on the street and offroad, all without too many troubles. We did have one that got assembled together that was about 1/8 inch off and it really made the truck go down the road crooked. Hope this gives you some food for thought.
 
When I was younger, my friends and I did something like this a few different times. The trick is to find a level straight chunk of the frame and then to cut the frame on both sides as evenly as possible. Measure as many times as necassary and always use something on the frame as a reference. Then figure out how much you need to remove to bring the box and frame up to the cab. Then cut the frame section out. We would then weld the frames C-channel back up and plate it with 1/4 steel, using bolts and then finally welding it back together. I am sure this is NOT approved of by the powers that be, but I will say that we ran these on the street and offroad, all without too many troubles. We did have one that got assembled together that was about 1/8 inch off and it really made the truck go down the road crooked. Hope this gives you some food for thought.

I have done it the same way the only thing I did different was cut the frame rails at two different points instead of straight across from one another. A body shop friend said this would not weaken the frame as much
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top