are there any special procedures to removing the steering wheel to replace it? I was told that it can be tricky to remove airbag, something like a "short bar" to keep the bag from going off?
Wow! I had the same exact problem on my 96. It was so bad that I would always get black powdery flakes on my hands from it. Here's what I did; I took a razor blade and cut off the original steering wheel wrap of the wheel completely, now the wheel is skinny with four grooves cut into it where the leather wrap was sewn on, then I went to the auto parts store and bought one of those old skool steering wheel wraps with little holes and that you have to lace onto the wheel for three bucks. I'ts black by the way and looks great.
I'd just get a cover at Wal-Mart for $3. I bought one, the one that's ribbed all around, and I like it. My boss had one in his F-350 and when I drove it, I liked it and liked the look, even though they looked cheap at Wal-Mart, and I think it's the best one I could have gotten.