Steering Shaft Problems

challenger6pak

New Member
In my 67 Bronco I have a later, 76 77, style steering shaft and power steering. The steering was slipping so I pulled off the rag joint. The splines in the joint were pretty chewed up, but I was suprised to see that there were no splines at all on the shaft. It is perfectly smooth.

Did the shaft splines get eaten up or were they not there to begin with?
Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,
matt
 
Are you talking about the splines that slide into the flex joint down by the gear box, or is the splines some place else that your talking about?
 
No, sorry I didn't specify. I am talking about the splines on the upper shaft, the one that comes down from the steering wheel. I thought this shaft was supposed to be splined to go into the joint.

Everything below that into the gearbox is fine.
 
Whoever did the conversion didn't want to spend the $ to do it correctly & safely.
You need the correct upper shaft.... Lonnie at Toms Bronco Parts can help you.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top