Steering Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter fredncstate
  • Start date Start date
F

fredncstate

Guest
Has anyone every had a problem with a 77` Ford 150 having reallyyy bad steering problems. The power steering works fine, its just that you can sit still and turn the wheel and the truck begins to move side to side before the wheels do. I have a 3 inch body lift with a 2 inch suspension lift running 35x12.50's. Please someone help, someone told me that I needed a drop pitman arm and that would fix it. I dont know?....Please Help
 
It sounds like a track bar/ bushing problem.
Have a friend turn the steering wheel side to side (about 15-25degrees) watch the track bar ends (bolted to the frame just behind the steering box) and attached to the diff on the right side of the truck just inside the radius arm.
If there is movement at either bushing it will need to be replaced. I also seem to recall that the F 150s had a problem with the bolt/ stud on the diff "egging" out the hole in the mount. Watch that for movement as well.
 
Do likeasstated. Ut also watch for any slack in areas there shouldn't be.
I'm no lift pro but I learned by a member and by reading you don't need a drop pitman are on that small of a lift.

Also look around your Steering box where it bolts to the frame. Lots are known for cracking the frame there. Which with a search you cn find ways to easily fix it
 
:))
Txquadhunter said:
Do likeasstated. Ut also watch for any slack in areas there shouldn't be.
I'm no lift pro but I learned by a member and by reading you don't need a drop pitman are on that small of a lift.

Also look around your Steering box where it bolts to the frame. Lots are known for cracking the frame there. Which with a search you cn find ways to easily fix it
[snapback]6527[/snapback]​
change all your bushings i just did it especially track arm bushings
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top