Steering Column Rebuild

  • Thread starter Thread starter colobronco
  • Start date Start date
C

colobronco

Guest
I need to rebuild a three on the tree steering column on my 70 eb. How good are the rebuild kits? and is it an easy process? or any other suggestions. Thanks for your time
 
Its not the easiest part of the bronco to rebuild but its do able.
Just take your time and remember how things come out keeping parts in order so they go back in the correct location. You might need a steering wheel puller if your knees/ legs can't pop it off.
How bad off is it? Can you hear and feel the bad bearings?Do you have sloppy steering?
 
It's the shifting part that I think is worn out. Sometimes it gets stuck in 1st. and I have to lift the hood and wiggle the shift rods. But the column shift is sloppy so I thought if I rebuilt it that would take care of it. Could it be something else? When you rebuild the column does it include the shifter? It does not have sloppy steering. Of course I don't have anything to compare it to maybe that is the way they are. And its not real sloppy
 
Getting stuck in 1st gear is due to the linkage being off slightly on the 3 speed.
You have to get under the truck and adjust the shifter rods until it doesn't bind. It could take several tries so do one at a time until it shifts good.
I bet the column is fine. Mine always felt loose so I went with the shifter on the floor. Much better!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top