Steering Box Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ponyboy
  • Start date Start date
P

Ponyboy

Guest
:wacko: I just bought a 74 with a 3 1/2 inch James Duff lift, it has 33x12.50 General Grabbers, the problem is the truck walks all over the road and at speeds over 55 it gets almost impossible to drive, it has all new polyurethane bushings so that isn't the issue, The stering box shifts when I turn the steering wheel, is there any type of bracket that will give the steering box better support? And is there anything else I can do to tighten up the steering? Thanks for all of your suggestions!
 
I hade that problem once on my truck. If you replace the bolts and use lock washers and lock nuts it will fix it (at least it did for mine).
 
ponyboy,
Make sure you check for cracks in the framerail behind the box and around the bolt holes.
Install new bolts (gr 8 or higher) washers and stover or nyloc nuts if your box isn't threaded, or new lock washers and bolts if it is, use a little bit of lock tite.
Make sure the bolts are torqued to spec. (70 ft/lbs)
Check to make sure the track bar bolts are tight, and that there is no play in the bushings at either end.
On one of the EB retailer sites I have seen steering box braces, but I can't remember which site it was.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top