Starting Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdog
  • Start date Start date
C

cdog

Guest
After towing my 76 home from Ky to Oh, I put in a new battery and it would start and then immediately shut off. I thought it was the carb so I rebuilt it with no luck. I found the coil to distributer wire broken at the dist. terminal and replaced the wires but still no luck. I thought ignition switch, but continuity is good in all of the proper places. Would a damaged alternator or blown fuse cause my problem?
 
Perhaps, did the broken wire short out by touching metal? Check fuses and Ohm the coil for resistance. Chech for power on the coil. Check grounds on the battery, frame and anywhere else. Grounds are the most important!
 
Another item to check is the wiring at the starter solenoid (relay)
If the wiring from the solenoid to the ignition module is damaged, you may only get power to the coil while cranking.
 
Just prior to checking my replys, I found a Solenoid wire that appeared to be touching, but was not. That was the problem. I was glad to find the problem, but frustrated with my oversight. I guess I should get used to this kind of learning process. Thanks for the replys though, the second one was right on.
 
maybe u have vapor lock u can take the spark plugs out and try startin it and get the pressure out
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top