Starting Problem

Justshootme84

Moderator
I went out today to drive my Bronco, and the starter won't even turn over. I have power for the lights, and 12.5v at the solenoid. The post for the starter cable has no power, and it will start when I jump the soleniod posts. I figure that's the problem, but have a question about the ignition module. Could it be bad, too, or would the starter not crank if the module was bad? I'm thinking of changing it out, looks like it's the original one from 20 years ago. Thoughts & comments???
 
If it starts when you jump out the terminals on the solenoid, then the ignition module is fine. The problem is the solenoid itself :)
I would change it and not even worry with the ig module :)
 
If it ain't broke don't fix it [-X . The component that gives the most problems in the ignition, is the pickup. When it fails, the symptom is, the truck starts, runs for a few minutes untill it starts to warm up nad then shuts off like the key switch was turned off. However, I have gotten bad pickups right out of the box.

Having had problems in this area, I now keep a spare TESTED pickup and module on hand just in case. I keep a little road kit in my truck, which I hope to never need :-" , with ignition parts and some home made ignition test parts.

good luck,

:)>-
 
Thanks for the replies, dudes!!! I keep a spare solenoid on hand, but it's somewhere in my toolboxd in my Z-71 that seems to always be in the shop. I may pick up a spare ign. module next time I'm in town. My Chevy is falling apart at the moment... I'd rather be driving the Bronco anyway.
 
Just for your info, here is the start circuit from the 83 EVTM and I'm 99.9% sure it has been the same for any Durraspark II sustem no mater what year.

:)>-
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top