starter problems

daler63

New Member
Heres the specs,78 F100 with transplanted 351W and C6 transmission.This combination worked great for about 6 years then need a motor rebuild.I used a recommended shop for R&R and remanufacture of my engine.Since then it has eaten about 14 starter gears in 2 years.The rebuild shop says its not their problem.In the first year I bought a heavy duty starter from a starter shop which claimed the problem was electrical,the problem continued.I came to the conclusion that the flywheel/flex plate was the problem so I bought and installed a new one myself,found a few chipped teeth on the old one.It went 9 months then started doing it again,Ive replaced 2 starter gears in the last 3 months.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,,,,,,,,Dale
 
Lost another gear Wed and considered selling my baby.Instead I made my way to one of the oldest starter/alternator shops in town and explained the problem to the owner (Dad) ,he shot back that I should be running a 10 tooth starter drive if I have installed a new fly wheel.The original gear had 9 teeth.Why he didnt say this when I originally told him the story a year ago is a mystery.The new gear has the starter sounding and working better than ever,God I hope it lasts this time.





Heres the specs,78 F100 with transplanted 351W and C6 transmission.This combination worked great for about 6 years then need a motor rebuild.I used a recommended shop for R&R and remanufacture of my engine.Since then it has eaten about 14 starter gears in 2 years.The rebuild shop says its not their problem.In the first year I bought a heavy duty starter from a starter shop which claimed the problem was electrical,the problem continued.I came to the conclusion that the flywheel/flex plate was the problem so I bought and installed a new one myself,found a few chipped teeth on the old one.It went 9 months then started doing it again,Ive replaced 2 starter gears in the last 3 months.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,,,,,,,,Dale
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top