STALLING

crashwhiplash

New Member
:mad: I have a 89 F-250 302 fuel inj with a stalling prob. (82000 miles) I can drive it on the freeway and it wont stall out, but when i go to slow down below 35 mph it acts like i shut the key off. The truck sometimes will start up right away, other times it takes up to five minutes. I can drive (stopping and going) 20+ miles at times without it stalling, But i will stall. I' had it in the shop and they checked it over, even drove it and it did not stall for them "dont think they drove it enough" HELP!!!!
 
crashwhiplash said:
:mad: I have a 89 F-250 302 fuel inj with a stalling prob. (82000 miles) I can drive it on the freeway and it wont stall out, but when i go to slow down below 35 mph it acts like i shut the key off. The truck sometimes will start up right away, other times it takes up to five minutes. I can drive (stopping and going) 20+ miles at times without it stalling, But i will stall. I' had it in the shop and they checked it over, even drove it and it did not stall for them "dont think they drove it enough" HELP!!!!
[snapback]16227[/snapback]​


Hey there and welcome! now this may or may not be it. but i had a similar problem, and this may sound strange but bare with me. take off your distributor cap and inside you sould find a quarter moon shaped part with some wires coming out, this is your ignition module they don't go out often but they do go out. replacing this (MAY) fix it. this part can be picked up at almost any part store for about 25$, unfortunatley its an electrical part and can't be returned to most stores
 
also if this doesn't work and your still needing assistance. try on the sister site bronco zone there seems to be alot more action on it alot of knolegable and helpful people
 
crashwhiplash said:
:mad: I have a 89 F-250 302 fuel inj with a stalling prob. (82000 miles) I can drive it on the freeway and it wont stall out, but when i go to slow down below 35 mph it acts like i shut the key off. The truck sometimes will start up right away, other times it takes up to five minutes. I can drive (stopping and going) 20+ miles at times without it stalling, But i will stall. I' had it in the shop and they checked it over, even drove it and it did not stall for them "dont think they drove it enough" HELP!!!!
[

Believe it or not I had the same problem with my F150. FIrst check your idle rpm, mine was a little low and it helped out the stall problem to adjust it higher (change the plugs also will help if it is oil fouled). Also check your battery connections, the starting problem (5 min) might be corrosion at the terminals or even the cable (l cut off the bad section of cable near the battery connector and installed a clamp on connector a $4 part for both pos+ and neg- terminals at the auto stores). If not that that ECM module is probably it, or a fuel pump problem (also similar conditions that a starved engine will stall out and not start esp. if the pump is working intermittently). Good Luck!! :wacko:
 
crashwhiplash said:
:mad: I have a 89 F-250 302 fuel inj with a stalling prob. (82000 miles) I can drive it on the freeway and it wont stall out, but when i go to slow down below 35 mph it acts like i shut the key off. The truck sometimes will start up right away, other times it takes up to five minutes. I can drive (stopping and going) 20+ miles at times without it stalling, But i will stall. I' had it in the shop and they checked it over, even drove it and it did not stall for them "dont think they drove it enough" HELP!!!!
[snapback]16227[/snapback]​

This brings back old nightmares. Driving down the freeway 65 to 70 mph with no worries, take the exit slow down for the stop sign and have the truck stall out. Mine is a '86 F-150 EFI. Truck acted like it was in a vapor lock. If lucky it would turn over and start if not I had to wait about 5 mins then it would start.

I found several things. I have a 1996 Haynes Repair Manual that shows how to retrieve the trouble codes from the EEC system. One of my reoccurring codes pointed to the Powertrain Control Module. Short story is after checking the Ignition System, I replaced the Ignition Control Module (ICM). Several other posts keep referring to an ECM on the distributor. I think they may be referring to the ICM which is mounted on the side of the distributor with two screws. I also found a bad cell in my battery and I replaced my ate up battery cables.

Even though this seemed to have solved my problems, one last thing, several months later I had the truck into the Ford dealer and was telling the mechanic about the stalling problems. He found that my timing was advanced way forward of where it should have been. The timing was reset. Don't know if this could have contributed to the problem or not. But it will be three years in February 06 since my last nightmare occurred.

Good Luck, and hopefully you have already solved you bad dream.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top