Spools Front And Rear

  • Thread starter Thread starter JLarsh
  • Start date Start date
J

JLarsh

Guest
I HAVE A D60 FRONT AND REAR BUT I AM NOT FINANCIALLY READY FOR THE REBUILD OF THESE AXLES. MY 79 BRONCO HAS THE USUAL 9'' AND D44,6'' LIFT,35'' GOODYEAR MTR'S AND A 400M BORED .030 OVER WITH A CAM AND EDELBROCK CARB AND INTAKE. I JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE PEG LEG ACTION ANYMORE. IALSO CAN'T JUSTIFY SPENDING THE MONEY ON LOCKERS FOR THE 1/2 GEAR AND THE 1TON GEAR AS WELL. I DRIVE ABOUT 100 MILES A WEEK ON PAVEMENT IF NOT LESS. WILL THE SPOOLS WORK OR WHAT, WHAT ARE THE UPS AND DOWNS OF SPOOLS. ANY RESPONSE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATTED. ALSO IN THE WINTER WOULD IT BE OKAY TO DRIVE ON THE STREET WITH ONLY ONE HUB LOCKED IF I HAD A SPOOL IN THE FRONT.
 
I would not put the spools in it. You can reman the factory limited slip rear for about $200 or less depending on how bad it is. Front spools are a very BAD idea, if you have to do something put a limited slip in the front. Driving with the hubs locked ( in 2wd) will not hurt it, just make sure the diff fluid is full and good. I did that for 3 years when I lived in Alaska.
 
don't put one in the front unless you want TREMENDOUS torque steer
 
A front spool will be virtually impossible to drive in the dirt, let alone on the street.
A detroit locker in the front can be hard to drive on the trails, and it has some forgiveness in the fact that it will ratchet to allow for SOME differential action.

A rear spool is more forgiving when street driven, although it can/ will tear the crap out of your tires, even at the 100 miles /week that you street drive the truck.
I would NOT recommend a spool for winter driving, it will turn the back end of your truck into a curling rock on snow and ice.
 
if you want to drive staight every time you put it four wheel drive, wear tires out faster, as spools might save money over limited slips and lockers. They break and wear out every other part of your rig.
 
i agree it's a bad idea they would work great in a straight line but turning is insane.
i lincoln locked both before in an old 1/2 ton beater i had and it was pretty bad driving on the gravel much less the pavement.it'll bust axle joints to hell too
 
I agree with everyone else, a spool in the front axle is a bad idea fora daily driver/trail rig. I would not spool the rear axle either if you do any street driving at all. I've looked at the pros and cons and may spool the 9" rear on my Bronco, but it will be used strictly for mud drags after that.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top