Speedometer

  • Thread starter Thread starter seminolepete
  • Start date Start date
S

seminolepete

Guest
This is the second one to do this to me. It starts out fine then begins to stick or spike at various indicated speeds. Sometimes I'm driving like 40 and it indicates 80 or higher. Is there any way to fix it. Right now I have it torn apart and spraying it with a cleaner to maybe stop the sticking. Just looking for input. Thanks
 
Did you replace the entire cable as a unit? if so the problem my lay elsware such as speedo or gear in tranny
The reason I ask is that if you only replace the interior cable there may be a burr in the casing,(just a thought) Had it happen to me (took the advice of a good buddy), won't do that one again. hope this helps. If you replace the gear in the tranny make sure you get the right color/size other wise the speedo will read wrong.( ticket time!!!) or at least a conversation with the local authorities!
 
I bought a new cable. Should I by the gears that attach to it inside the tranny also? i'm assuming that's what you mean by the speedo gears. When I first installed the cable the speedometer worked fine for about fifty miles and started acting up. Same thing with the next speedometer. Everything inside the speedometer seems to operate fine but after all the cleaning it still did the same thing.
 
Did you put a good coat of white grease on the cable before you installed it? Is the tranny the original tranny? If it has been changed or rebuilt, the drive gear may be incorrect on the output shaft. Check the speedo casing for kinks or burn spots from the exhaust. Mine did the same thing, I found a spot that was burned from the exhaust, I ended up replacing the cable housing. It may be the speedometer has gone bad internally or just gummed up with dirt and needs a good cleaning.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Trending content

Forum statistics

Threads
4,181
Messages
19,140
Members
5,134
Latest member
Shaggy
Back
Top